Chestnut trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Last year squirrels deposited some chestnuts around my yard. I now have 3 chestnut tress oh about 1' high. Where is the best place to transplant them and why in the world are they such slow growers? Oh ya.....hardly ever see anything about chestnut wood...is it that uncommon?

NordicSplitter said:
Last year squirrels deposited some chestnuts around my yard. I now have 3 chestnut tress oh about 1' high. Where is the best place to transplant them and why in the world are they such slow growers? Oh ya.....hardly ever see anything about chestnut wood...is it that uncommon?

Are these some new disease-resistant variety of the American Chestnut? - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chestnut

1 foot high in the first year doesn't seem like a slow grower to me. The best place realy depends on your landscape layout and where you want the trees. Are these chinese chestnut or the American Chestnut. American chestnut is alomst extinct as a mature tree, but it is found in the woods as stump sprouts and saplings and does make nuts sometimes. If they are american they are a neat novelty but are likely to die before maturity.

If you were determined to get the best growth out of these trees a sunny place with moist, rich soil would be best; the same place you'd plant a tomato garden would be perfect for chestnuts and practically everything else. Alternately any spot with a few hours of sun should be OK. You will get the most nuts in full sun, and I think the tres are reasonably tolerant of soils - not too soggy and not too dry/terrible is ok.

I have not burned chestnut so I don't know much about the wood.

They must be chinese chestnut. The funny thing is I can't locate a chestnut tree anywhere in my neighborhood.

NordicSplitter said:
They must be chinese chestnut. The funny thing is I can't locate a chestnut tree anywhere in my neighborhood.

Post a pic if easy enough - would be interesting to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.