Chimeny Cleaning...can I do it myself?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I'm deciding whether to get dirty and clean my own chimney instead of paying a professional to do it so I can 1) save a little money, 2) do it more frequently (see #1). I have a hearth mounted Hearthstone Phoenix with about 30' of non-insulated SS flexible liner going through the original chimney flue. I'll have to use the "bottom-up" approach as the roof is way too dangerous and I don't have the ladder to get up there anyway (nor would I want to...my roof peak is about 37 feet up). Pretend for a minute that I have no idea how to do this, other than understanding it conceptually. What tools would I need? Would I make a huge mess of the hearth room? Should I just suck it up and pay the man? Thanks!

i have a regular wood stove with just one 45 bend so its a pretty straight shot for me i use the soot eater look it up here or goggle it or look on amazon, i still have sweep come once a year but i may start doing that 1 every 2 yrs. just for a extra set of trained eyes... i do bottom up not really to messy at all, but i keep my pipe clean if yours hasnt been cleaned in a while it will be a bit messier. plus i burn good seasoned wood.

Very basic tools are generally all that are required . . . chimney brush and rods . . . some tools to loosen stove pipe. However, I have the advantage of an outdoor chimney and T so I can't give you a step-by-step guide as to what to do and what you will need.

I will however bump this thread to the top . . . since anyone willing to invest a bit of work to keep their chimney clean and their family safe by cleaning their own chimney deserves a good answer to their questions.

If concerned about getting dirty or things around you getting dirty (rightly so), then a tarp, plastic or even an old sheet or two wrapped around the area should keep fly ash and soot from floating around the room.

Because this is your first time, you might want to consider hiring a sweep and be sure to see how much soot and/or creosote he gets from the chimney. Use that as a rough rule of thumb on how often you should sweep.

You can buy a brush and rods at most hardware stores. They are not expensive. If you have a SS chimney then perhaps a poly brush is good; otherwise a regular wire chimney brush is better.

I have a Jutol 118 in the basement family room. I live in an old (1915) two story house. I have an uninsulated SS liner in a brick chimney. I have cleaned it religiously twice a year for 36 years.... from the roof. Sometimes it is a bear to get up there... snow and all... and it was certainly easier when I was 24, just starting out. I know this sounds clunky, but I have three sections of conduit with connectors I have modified, The brush is on one section. I clean the top 7-8 feet, then connect the next section, clean the middle portion, connect the last section, and clean down to the stove pipe elbow. I give it a second scrubbing as I bring the conduit up. Whatever the case, I have no doubt that you can do a thorough job.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I'm having a sweep come out and I'm going to take notes and try to learn from a pro so I can do it more often myself.

I wrote a thread on doing a bottom up cleaning in the GEAR section. I use a Soot Eater and really slick and easy. Rods are very flexible and you just use a drill and it works like a weed eater, you trim it to fit your size chimney. You probably would want to buy 2 kits because it comes with 18 feet in a kit. The add on sections are expensive and not much more to buy 2 kits and have spares.

The Sooteater works great!

I can get it all done in an hour+!

Like others have said, I would pay a chimney sweep and tell him right up front that you want to pick his brain because you want to learn how this is done. Most guys will be OK with it as even know they may lose you as a customer eventually.... Chimney sweeps should realize that if they are good to you, you will recommend them to others that need a cleaning.

I did this a while ago and the guy knew I was a wood stove junkie, so I climbed up there with him to the cap, took the stove "apart" with him and cleaned it, and picked his brain non stop. He was really cool as most people would be if you took interest in what they do as job.

You have to remember for many of these chimney sweeps they may be just used to being treated as a regular cleaning guy with most customers just wanting them not to get the place dirty.....

So for the price of a cleaning you will gain knowledge and you can do it yourself the next time if you are comfortable ;-)

Am I over simplifying things!?!? An hour to clean the chimney?! I take maybe 15 to 20 minutes tops. Take the brush and scrub up and down all the way down...then repeat on the way up till done then clean the cap and hop off the roof??? am I missing something? Once a year I tear down the stove and look for cracks warps etc...they may take an hour total, but not just a sweep mid season?!? Could i not be scrubbing enough...the brush loosens up and is realy easy to move when I am done and looks good. What am I missing?

EDIT: Ignore the idiot..... it did take me quite a bit longer from the bottom....so ignore the dummy covered in soot

I can't clean from the bottom so I gladly pay my sweep the $75 it cost to have it done. I'll climb a ladder no problem but I'm not real excited about climbing a ladder to get on the roof and then climbing another ladder on the roof to get to the chimney.

my guy came and showed me what I needed to do. He gave my rod and brush kit the ok. I had close to a half gallon of black soot, so I guess I'm not burning as clean as I thought. my guy said there was no creosote which is always good news. I will sweep once more toward the seasons end. I have enough wood split for next year not counting my oak so I should be cleaner 10/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.