Chimney brush question (w/ pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ted7847

Jan 15, 2012
Central Wyoming
I have an interior masonry chimney that only has 1 24" clay tile liner at the very top. The interior of the tile is 7"x11". Then it is just exposed brick and widens out to 8"x12" or thereabouts. What size brush would I use to try to clean the chimney in preparation for an insulated liner install? Would a 7x11 brush adequately scrub the wider 8x12 section? Could I smash an 8x12 brush through the 7x11 top portion?

P1080006.jpg

P1080009.jpg

There is also a crumbly mortar area. I assume this should be patched up before installing the liner. I think I can just barely reach it.

P1080008.jpg

Well I am no expert and have not done the task you are preparing to do so take the advice with a grain of salt. Because you can see everything very well I would go smaller rather than bigger and just go to town scrubbing it. Tihs way you do not risk an oversized brush getting stuck and having that to deal with. With the insulated liner going in I am not sure how important the repair is but if you can reach it, it certainly would not hurt. JM2C

Brushes are pretty hard to cram into areas smaller than the brush, and you may risk damaging something trying. I would go with the next smaller size. Don't know what a pro sweep would cost but IIRC a square brush will run you about 30-40 dollars for something you may never use again. Might just put the money towards a sweep.

So my $.02 worth. I have had my stove in for a year and a half and in spring I will pull it out. I'm going to have a pro sweep come out to get the entire thing clean in and out. I have a side by side chimney and I did not get it clean before install. I know it is recommended to thoroughly clean the chimney but I installed anyway. The professional sweeps have big soot vacuums and heavy duty tools to do the job right. I have seen a couple of chimneys that were done right and there is a difference between a DIY and professional job. If your doing a liner and stove insert I would get it right the first time, I am doing it right the second time....

Excellent thought. I'd do the same in this circumstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.