Chimney Cap and creosote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Hearth Supporter
Jul 21, 2006
WNY
As I was looking at my class A from the outside today I noticed what looked like a streak running down the side of the stainless steel.

So I plowed my way through about a foot of snow on my roof to inspect my class A chimney, I know the inside of the class A is clean because I sweep it frequently from inside the house (sweep from Bottom up) but the chimney cap has a build up of some creosote on it, along with the screen around it. The steak was creosote which came of easy with a little snow in hand.

Because the entire length of the chimney is clean and it's just the chimney cap is it cause for Concern?.

Thanks

I don't think so. I went up and checked both of my flues today and both pipes were just brown soot but both caps were loaded with creostote. The caps are so "air cooled" there isn't anyway to prevent it.

While I was chipping the stuff out of the caps I was wondering about you guys that clean the pipe from the bottom and what your caps looked like.

It could be a cause for concern if it goes un checked and clogs up and restricts your draft. But it sounds like you will keep an eye on it. Some people cut some of the screen off to help reduce creosote formation.

Thank's BrotherBart all I get when I clean the chimney is the the black soot, but this is the first time I actually saw the shinny stuff.

Todd - There is plenty of open screen left but I can see how left unchecked it would reduce draft. I was more Concerned with a fire, but as BrotherBart said The caps are so “air cooled” that I don't think it could get hot enough to catch on fire.

Greg123 said:
Thank's BrotherBart all I get when I clean the chimney is the the black soot, but this is the first time I actually saw the shinny stuff.

Todd - There is plenty of open screen left but I can see how left unchecked it would reduce draft. I was more Concerned with a fire, but as BrotherBart said The caps are so “air cooled” that I don't think it could get hot enough to catch on fire.

I wish I had a remote ignitor up there on both caps. I would set them off once a week to clean'em out without having to trudge up on the roof once a month.

Here it is again..........another potential brain storming area.

Yes we all might have the same problem, creosote on or in the screen or cap. Why can't we figure out a way to fix this problem instead of risking falling from the roof ?

I'll be back in a couple hours to check on this thread and I expect some ideas being tossed around................ ;-)

How to keep your cap clean, even when it has a screen, that is the problem.

Robbie

Robbie said:
Here it is again..........another potential brain storming area.

Yes we all might have the same problem, creosote on or in the screen or cap. Why can't we figure out a way to fix this problem instead of risking falling from the roof ?

I'll be back in a couple hours to check on this thread and I expect some ideas being tossed around................ ;-)

How to keep your cap clean, even when it has a screen, that is the problem.

Robbie

Actually the answer is simple if you live somewhere that doesn't require spark arrest. Like me. Next season I am going to put a couple of seven dollar galvanized rain caps out of the plumbing section of the hardware store on both pipes. Cone top will keep the rain out and the big wide opening won't collect black crunchy stuff.

In 22 years I never had any critters climb or fly into those flues without caps. If they do with the stoves cranking at 500 they will only do it once. Scrape the remains off of the top of the baffle and keeping on going.

I used to use a propane torch to put mofified roofing down (torch down). The torch is not what you find at the store. It has a head about 5 or 6 inches long, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Throws out about 50,000 btu's. Could prolly make a set up with it fastened under the cap facing the underside, Hooked to a 25 lb. propane tank, like a B.B.Q. tank. The trigger is on a metal 3/8" pipe that the head connects to. Maybe rig the trigger at ground level near the tank with a longer pipe or tubing to the head. Fire that baby up once a week or so. Would cook the creosote right off that cap.

Hogwildz said:
I used to use a propane torch to put mofified roofing down (torch down). The torch is not what you find at the store. It has a head about 5 or 6 inches long, about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Throws out about 50,000 btu's. Could prolly make a set up with it fastened under the cap facing the underside, Hooked to a 25 lb. propane tank, like a B.B.Q. tank. The trigger is on a metal 3/8" pipe that the head connects to. Maybe rig the trigger at ground level near the tank with a longer pipe or tubing to the head. Fire that baby up once a week or so. Would cook the creosote right off that cap.

Sounds good. Rig it up, get ready, pop a beer and yell "Hey Bubba! Watch this!"

Status
Not open for further replies.