chimney cap ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hardwaregrrl

Sep 17, 2015
Atlanta
Hey all, since I'm in the south my chimney may not always be warm enough to keep critters away. I used a piece of the expanded metal gutter guard around it to keep birds from hanging out. Can I leave it in place when burning? I'm just worried as soon as I remove it we will have a string of 60 degree days and someone may move in. tia

Oh yeah....first real fire.

chimney cap ?

I'm not sure what size hole the gutter guard you're using on your rain cap, so I can't comment on your setup. However, I can tell you that the screening in rain caps is often the first place that creosote will build up on a flue set up. This is because the cap is sitting out in the elements at the end of the exhaust stream where the gasses are the coolest. Cooler gasses passing through an even cooler screen and you can see why the creosote will deposit there. Therefore, you want to have the critter screen on your cap to have holes as large as possible without letting bird/bats, etc. into the flue. A screen with very small holes will clog rather quickly.

Reactions: hardwaregrrl
If the openings in the expanded metal are 3/4" or more you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.