Chimney chase questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mousedoc

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2008
upstate NY
I will be placing a wood stove in the basement of a 1 story home. The chimney (6" metalbestos class A) will pass through the first floor living area. On the first floor I will be building an enclosure (chase) made out of 2x4 covered with sheet-rock. My questions are:

1. Do I need to sheet-rock just the living area side or the chimney side as well?

2. If the chimney side needs to be sheet-rocked, should it be taped, spackled and painted?

3. If only the living area side of the chimney chase needs to be sheet rocked, can I install a floor to ceiling duct in the wall with registers at the floor and ceiling to try and reclaim some of the chimneys heat? If possible, would this be effective?

4. Can this chase be sheet rocked with 1/2” or does it need to be 5/8” firecode?

Thanks in advance!

to my knowledge it only has to be closed in on one side and also the material it up to you - any wall material will do. The concept is that the enclosure is mostly for one purpose - that is to stop you from resting combustible material against the chimney.

As to the vents, my thought is that this would provide only a very small amount of heat, and that most of this relatively small amount will end up soaking into the sheet rock and coming out anyway.

Since a fire is unlikely to ever start inside the chase, the amount of time that it would stay in there (if started) is not really an issue.

That's my take.....a good look at the instructions for the chimney may confirm this....or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.