Chimney cleaning- have black rod Sooteater- thoughts on white flexible rods or better?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

clydesdale

Mar 8, 2016
New York
I am getting ready to clean my chimney and remember that the black rod Sooteater does not like to bend. I have used it twice, but did snap one rod until I made a device out of conduit to make my rough angle into my stove. But, I recall hearing that the white rods were great. Anybody have some input on this? They appear to be quite a bit more expensive. Any other products that are recommended? Thank you.

It sounds like the white rods would solve the problem. FWIW I have the black rods that I use to bottom-up clean our flue. I start out with the rods at the bottom of the firebox. The rods bend nicely going up at a 110º? angle into the flue collar with a radius of about a foot. Then they negotiate two 45º elbows in an offset. They do this quite easily. Our rods are about 6 yrs old now and seem to be standing up well. the main wear is from screws in the stovepipe joints scaping them.

I need to buy a few more rods. I have black rods. Are the black and white rods interchangeable? I would like to get the white ones since they are supposed to be more flexible but not sure they can connect with my black rods.

I have white rods. Nice and bendy.

Someone asked the company, and they replied that the rods can be used together. Same connectors.

Look for the other Sooteater threads. It wasn't that long ago.

I asked about that and here was my response from them :

"The black rods are manufactured using a stiffer poly material. The rod is larger in diameter, and hollow cored. They are stiffer, and easily bend to a 30 degree bend. You can bend them 180 degrees without damaging them, but that resiliency is not part of its intended use. These were designed as the best rod for classic chimney sweeping of an open hearth appliance like a fireplace.

The white rods are a solid extrusion of a specific nylon. This rod is thinner diameter than the black rod. It bends easier, and that is part of the design of the product. It will navigate 90 degree elbows with ease. These rods were designed as the best rod for sweeping sealed/controlled combustion wood burning appliances like a wood stove that often has elbows stronger than 30 degrees.

Both rods have the same button lock, and share integrated connectivity; Meaning, you can connect white rods to black rods, and black rods to white rods."