Chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Blstrahan

Jan 21, 2021
hearthPW#1
Evening folks - central PA heater here…we’re finally cold enough to start fires and I have had a problem finding a reputable cleaning company to come out and clean our pipe. Pulled the clean out cap off tonight and took this pic…wondering if I need a clean asap or if it looks ok. This is only our second season burning wood in our Harman Oakwood. Never burn green and stick mostly to oak and ash (have about 2 cords of black cherry ready to burn). Should I just invest in a good sweep and do it now? Or can I get away with not cleaning till next year?
5D58810B-5930-415E-A405-8FFD9EAE0F5B.jpeg

Keep on burning, there's almost no buildup in that flue. Can't have a chimney fire if there's nothing in the chimney to burn.

Looks like it's accessible, get yourself some fiberglass rods and a brush. Or a sooteater for your drill and clean it yourself.

Reactions: RomanW
I wouldn't worry about that flue, though it might be a good idea to check the cap if access to it is difficult mid-winter. You could even use binoculars just to verify that it's not loading up. Caps can be cold and collect more crud. especially if you frequently have a wind mixing through it.

Check the pa guild of professional sweeps