Chimney Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitchy

Dec 15, 2009
Northern NJ
Hi To All

Total Newbie here. Got a couple of questions and know after reading for quite a few months I have come to the right place. First let me qualify I have a Quadrafire 5100i, a Quadrafire 3100i and a Hearthstone Equinox.

Ok

Question 1

While I do know that getting a professional chimney sweep/ cleaning is a must on the priority list I was just wondering if in the in between times if I can even get to it is there anything wrong with cleaning my liner my self from the inside upwards? (I realize this is not the standard way or even the best). I don't run it as hot as you all seem too, on a regular basis 400-500. Keeps me near 75 on mid 20 degree days and nights. I use smaller splits too. Heats up quicker. My chimney is way to up there for me to climb, and I can't always get a Sweep out to clean at my beck and call...lol I also realize I need to be mindful of my screen on top too.

Question 2

Do the flames have to be always engulfing the secondary tubes all the time in order to be burning the smoke and gases?

See I told you I was new...

Thanks for any help

John

Check out a product named "soot eater". It allows you to clean the chimney from the bottom up. Amazon has the best deal.

There's nothing wrong with cleaning your liner from the inside. You'll need some real flexible rods and a nice soft brush and it will work fine. Just make sure you at least check the chimney cap before lighting a fire.

Thanks for the tip on the soot eater. I will give it a try. I checked it out on the web site. looks pretty good.

As far as the cap goes, are you suggesting that I check it out before lighting a fire due to whether it got clean enough or to make sure I didn't knock it off while I was cleaning the pipe?

Thank you very much for your help. I am sure sticking with this site. You both have been very very helpful. Around here whenever i ask such questions i usually get an answer of "HUH"

Welcome to the forum Hitchy.

Just to let you know, we have never hired anyone to clean our chimney. Like most things, we prefer to do it ourselves. However, I understand why some would hire it done.

Thanks for the welcome

I kinda feel the same way too about the hiring. I just feel better knowing that if I am doing the cleaning its getting clean.
Kinda like walking into a Home Depot and reaching in the back for what I want to get. Friends Laugh at me all the time but I just smile. Hey if there is going to be any denting or scratching going on, I'm doing it!!!!

I never gave that a thought about clogging the cap. Thanks! I thought it was cause I might somehow knock it off "excellent tip"

I am planning on giving it a try tomorrow. The next couple of nights are supposed to be in the teens.

I will post the results for sure.

Again thanks

P.S. I might wait till that soot eater arrives first...

I will "hitch a ride" on this old thread as I got some good information here and can add to it, but I also have another question on my mind. As I have a Quadrafire 4100I I fit in well in the series of heating devices of the originator of this thread.

My question is: when is the best time to sweep the chimney (SS Liner)? I could do soon, I'm through burning wood for this season, or I could put it off, like so many other things, until the last minute and clean it in November. Does timing make a difference in how effective the brush is at cleaning? Is sooner better than later form an effectiveness point-of-view?

On the cap, let me add I go outside with binoculars and get back so that I can look (way up about 30') through the screen. If I can see light (e.g., the screen) looking though the cap, I know it is in fine shape. I pick the right time of day to put the sun on the other side of the cap from my best observation point. I don't try to line up with the sun, I just want a bright sky when I'm looking for clogs.

You can clean the chimney any time. One word of caution though is that many people find when they don't clean the chimney in the spring that at times during spring, summer and fall they will get a slight creosote smell in the house, especially on those cool rainy days or windy days. Of course you can plug the pipe at the stove to stop downdraft; just make sure you take it back out before lighting that next fire.

On the cap, many times you can reach it with a long pole, especially if your cap has a screen; we use the same pole that is used for the cleaning. Just reach up and tap the cap. Cover your eyes too as you should for all chimney cleaning.

Hitchy, one good thing about hiring a sweep is you get to watch to see how it is done. You might even get some questions answered as most sweeps are fairly knowledgeable (but not all).

Jerry if you hold a thirty foot pole up in the air to tap that cap you just HAVE to have somebody taking pictures. :smirk:

ladiharli said:
I bought a 1927 yr old house. I have a fireplace closed off in the parlor and I want 2 reopen it and use gas. How do I start to reopen the fireplace.?? Any help is appreciated.
ladiharli

You have a house that's 1,927 years old? Wow! (just kidding) How is the old fireplace closed off? Is it bricked in, or what? In any case, for all questions concerning gas-fired appliances, we have a dedicated forum, "It's a Gas", on this website where the expertise in that area's to be found. Welcome! Rick

fossil said:
ladiharli said:
I bought a 1927 yr old house. I have a fireplace closed off in the parlor and I want 2 reopen it and use gas. How do I start to reopen the fireplace.?? Any help is appreciated.
ladiharli

You have a house that's 1,927 years old? Wow! (just kidding) How is the old fireplace closed off? Is it bricked in, or what? In any case, for all questions concerning gas-fired appliances, we have a dedicated forum, "It's a Gas", on this website where the expertise in that area's to be found. Welcome! Rick

I split it off to the hearth room in its own thread Rick. Let's leave it there for a bit and might get more responses on knocking out the bricks and re-opening it.

BrotherBart said:
...I split it off to the hearth room in its own thread Rick. Let's leave it there for a bit and might get more responses on knocking out the bricks and re-opening it.

Excellent.

i use the soot eater, it works great i still have sweep come once a yr just to get second set of eyes. im thinking of having sweep come once every 2 yrs soon cause he comes and i have nothing at all to clean.

I always thought the "burn it in your stove to clean out the soot/creosote" was all "smoke and mirrors"... seems to be some advocates here. But it seems too easy to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.