Chimney cleanout door whistle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhjove

Dec 28, 2007
Beltzville, PA
Hi,
during moderate to high burn temps I notice a whistle coming from the chimney cleanout door. I was wondering if installing a gasket
to seal the door would be wise. If yes, are there seals available to install that would still allow the door to be opened and closed easily?

My current setup:
stove: Hearthstone Mansfield with OAK
chimney: centrally located in the house, 3 flue, masonry, 2 story house.

I attached 2 pix of the unit and door in question.
thanks.

Attachments

• dscn0503.jpg
    dscn0503.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 356
  • dscn0504.jpg
    dscn0504.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 432
Yes a gasket of some sort should help. I would think an air leak like that would be hurting your draft and increasing the chances of creosote build up.

I haven't had draft problems, but I understand what you are saying.
I've been looking for a sheet of silicone or some such item to cover the opening then when shutting the door creates an air tight seal but not permanent.

I've caulked mine, but it was outside. How about a piece of felt or even a sheet of construction paper/cardboard like you would find in an engine. I doubt it would get hot enough to ignite being it's lower than the thimble.

Then again, caulk it pretty easy to cut away when you want to open the clean out door.

I am going to go to my local stove shop to see what I can get today. I've seen these insulation kits on the internet too.
The more I stew over this more I want to get this sealed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.