Insulation in ash cleanout behind insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Charf

Feb 15, 2023
Ontario
Hi folks. First year in a new house which came with what I believe is a PE Vista insert. Anyway, had been burning without a problem for a couple of months and wanted to get the chimney cleaned. Naturally this cleaning was scheduled for the morning after one of the coldest nights of the year so far. Well, not being able to burn anything overnight combined with the -30 degree weather led to a build up of ice on the front of the stove around the door. Turns out the ash cleanout from the previous fireplace is essentially just a poorly covered hole in my wall. My initial thought was to just jam as much insulation in there as I could fit, but figured before buying any rockwool and doing that I figured I should consult this community.

Is it by design to have such a large uninsulated opening behind the stove, or was this just the installers cutting corners? Should I fill as much of the space as possible with insulation? Should I jam insulation into the space under the stove that leads into my house (picture below)? Appreciate any input from the community. I do plan to seal the exterior cleanout cover, but don't want to do that prior to insulating (as recommended).

As an added bonus, I am guessing this freeze/thaw cycle has happened before and is accountable for the rust found on the front of the stove. Would also appreciate any advice for cleaning this up.

Picture of the front of the stove:
front small.jpeg

Picture of Ash cleanout (cover removed);
ash clean out small.jpeg

View from inside ash cleanout, looking up towards the chimney:
inside ash clean out looking up small.jpeg

View from inside the ash cleanout looking under the stove (this goes straight into my house, and is essentially inline with the blower):
behind insert underneath small.jpeg

Thanks.

That at least should have had a rodent screen on it. Before blocking the outside opening, check to make sure that the room air cover plate on the insert has been removed. This is on page 9 of the manual under combustion air.

A paint job will make it look like new. Clean the stove completely, go over it with fine steel wool, vacuum clean and wipe down with a tack rag, then wipe with alcohol. Mask the door window and wood handle. Spray with Stove Brite Satin Black paint. Use light coats, it will probably take 3. Do this in a very well-ventilated location or put a fan in the window for exhaust and wear a good vapor mask.

Thanks begreen... I can confirm the knock-out plugs on both sides are already removed (I assume this is the same as the room air cover plate to which you refer). I will go out and buy some insulation on the weekend and stuff it full before sealing the ash cleanout cover with silicon. As far as painting is concerned, sounds like a chore for after burning season.

Appreciate the feedback. Stay safe.

As far as painting is concerned, sounds like a chore for after burning season.
Definitely. That way you get to appreciate your shiny new-looking stove all summer.