chimney, creosote, etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssupercoolss

Jan 28, 2008
southeast pa
this is my first year with my wood boiler so i am trying to keep an eye on things, i would prefer not to have a chimney fire. i run a brush through my chimney about every two weeks or so to be safe. all i ever really see is basically a very dull dust inside the pipe. in fact i clean out the pipe from my boiler to the breeching pipe with a toilet bowl brush. i really dont let my boiler idle, just load it up and let it run flat out until it runs out of wood. is the dust i see a pre-cursor to creosote, or is this normal for regular burning? what are the first signs of creosote? i always hear of some liquidy type goo running out from pipe joints. i have none of that. help the rookie out. this is looking in through my baro.

Attachments

• chimney 006.jpg
    chimney 006.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 330
I believe the dust shows that you are burning correctly. I think sweeping every two weeks is a little excessive. The manual for my furnace states that you should sweep when the creosote gets to be around 1/8" thick.

Creosote is black like tar and will burn like it. (Put that picture away before it offends someone it doesn't even look like you are burning wood-LOL). If I could get my chimney to look like that I could rent out my chimney brush but alas I must let my boiler idle. You are doing quite well! Maybe you should rent your brush out???

Cave2k said:
Creosote is black like tar and will burn like it. (Put that picture away before it offends someone it doesn't even look like you are burning wood-LOL). If I could get my chimney to look like that I could rent out my chimney brush but alas I must let my boiler idle. You are doing quite well! Maybe you should rent your brush out???

Out of curiosity - how much are creosote are you getting from the idling your doing? I'm not idling at all but I was considering it to help with start-ups.

Out of curiosity - how much are creosote are you getting from the idling your doing? I'm not idling at all but I was considering it to help with start-ups.

Believe me, you don't want to idle! My Eko 25 with inadequate storage has been a pleasure to operate during this cold weather but this morning after a 30* night and too much wood in the firebox, I have what appears to be another 1/4 inch of creosote in the firebox and since it is in my basement I have a foul odor throughout the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.