Chimney extractor to fix problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Byrner00

Dec 26, 2019
Western Massachusetts
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a home with a very nice vigilant wood stove. I am discovering that it was not installed properly. The vigilant I have has an eight inch oval exhaust connection. I am actually unsure the thimble size, but it appears to also be 8". The flue, the clay tile liner which runs the extent of the outside chimney, looks to be a 6"x6" square. So, I've heard from professionals, that this is a "no no" and not good for draft. I had been using the stove with no issues, until it got really cold, I bet no one is surprised. Anyway, I'm wondering if a chimney extractor (electric suction fan chimney cap) could kill two birds with one stone. Issue one, fix negative draft issue in cold weather (should work) and issue two which is a mismatched diameter stove output to flue size. They do make a one step reducer flange to be installed at stove output, allowing me to to go from 6" stove output to 6" flue ( much better). Yet truely, stove was designed for 8" output. Not sure the extractor will.."fix" this issue out not... Basically, I just want to be safe. If I have to sweep the chimney more often, that's fine... theoretically, the extractor should help run a cleaner chimney... If love for input here. I'm guessing, this chimney extractor could really fix reverse drafts, but that I'll have to watch creosote build up even more closely due to undersized flue. I like to run the stove quite a bit, often running continuously, making the good practice of running a hot fire twice a day for at least thirty minutes a whack. Thanks in advance for for two cents! -Mike

A chimney extractor doesn't fix anything. It is a mechanical bandaid that can cause more problems than they cover. Have you had the system inspected by a chimney pro.

I'm surprised by that response. So, I was on the phone with the chimney sweep that had been to the property in the past. Although, we did not discuss chimney extractors.. he basically told me to either build a larger chimney, or buy a smaller stove.

I have a Woodstock Classic in the lower level of our home that has a 90 degree elbow out the back, then about 3 feet of black stove pipe with another 90 degree elbow into a clay thimble that enters a 6"x9" clay tile flue that runs about 30 feet straight up. The stove drafts fine and I've never had any problems with creosote in the flue. In fact, it has stayed so clean I've yet to have to clean it!

... I had been using the stove with no issues, until it got really cold, I bet no one is surprised. ...
What issues are you having with draft? Cold weather generally improves draft. Driers, stove fans, furnaces all rob inside air and promote downdraft conditions. An outside air supply may drastically improve the draft that you were content with up till now. BUT as a disclaimer, a bigger pipe would be best.

Chimney fans are also very expensive and take allot of maintenance as well as proper calibration to avoid overdrafting the stove. You could probably by a new stove that would work better with less maintenance for the same or less money