Chimney fire help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all i was using the bathroom and came down stairs tonfind my stove way to hot. I kill the air a douse the fire then was kinda in a panic. I could hear it still cracking so i pulled out out fire bricks and hit it with the extinguisher. Now what i have a avalon inset with a thin wall flex liner insulaed

Have it inspected by a professional.

Next time I'd put sand or ashes on the fire, and if you need to extinguish the flue, direct the extinguisher up into the flue.

However, the cracking might also be the flue cooling back down.

But first of all, I'd call 911. Better safe than sorry. Are you sure nothing is smoldering outside your flue?

What was too hot? Temp? Flue temp?

Ok the fire department just left so i can explain better. I went to use the bath room and when i got done i went to check the stove. At the part of the liner where is is normally 300 ot was 800 so i shut the air and dumped water on the fire. I removed the wood then ran out side to look at the flue cap. I didnt see flames but could see sparks coming out so i ran down stair and shot a fire extinguisher the best i could the removed some bricks and hit it with the extinguisher again. Fire department says its all good no hot walls. The said if it was i fire i put it out very fast. I have a thin wall flexible liner. So how to proceed. Do i replace do have an inspection. What should i do

Ok. Yes have it inspected. Only a good inspection can tell whether replacement is needed.

Next: you likely had too much creosote on the chimney. Fire started because it got too hot. But embers coming out means it had a lot of fuel to burn. I.e. it was dirty.

When was the last time it was cleaned?
How dry is your wood?
How much do you choke down the fire (smoldering) for e.g. overnight fires?

Compliment: Good choice to have an extinguisher handy!

My two cents. @bholler is a chimney expert, @firefighterjake is a ... You guessed.

I cleaned it at the end of last year. My wood is blow 20% except for a little maple that might have been 22-25ish. Im a welder by trade and they allways pound have a fire extinguisher handy in you head i guess it kinda stuck lol. Heres some pics or it now Chimney fire help

Attachments

• 20220107_202856_99.mp4
    2.1 MB
  • 20220107_202856_04.mp4
    2.3 MB
  • 20220107_202856_06.mp4
    911.7 KB
Ok. I can't judge the liner pics. (Looks clean - but I assume this was after the cleaning).

How do you measure the moisture content? (On a surface of a fresh split?)

I am more concerned about the water damaging things than the fire. Yes you need it inspected

Reactions: KBCraig
I am more concerned about the water damaging things than the fire. Yes you need it inspected
Ok thank you i have a few questions. Do i clean it all out for the inspection. And how do i find a good insector and not a sales man.

Ok thank you i have a few questions. Do i clean it all out for the inspection. And how do i find a good insector and not a sales man.
Don't clean it out at all. Look for a reputable sweep preferably a small operation not a very large one with lots of trucks and sales insentives etc

Sorry i just realized the photos are videos with weird music. Anyways thts the veiw from the bottom up the liner is only 2 years old soni hope it can be saved. I checked the liner temp just off the back of stove and i keep it around 300 it was at 700 thats how i knew something was wrong. The sand is a good idea. I know water on hot steel is a no no but i panicked. What dose a big flue fore look like? I saw sparks and it sounded like a fan was blowing on low but i never saw flames.

Last edited:
Don't clean it out at all. Look for a reputable sweep preferably a small operation not a very large one with lots of trucks and sales insentives etc
I called a company in the next town over. They seem smaller and have a certified inspector. Everyone else in my area had bad reviews and didnt seem very good. Thanks

I called a company in the next town over. They seem smaller and have a certified inspector. Everyone else in my area had bad reviews and didnt seem very good. Thanks
What is a certified inspector?

What is a certified inspector?
Im not sure lol. I think it just something they put on there website to give them a good feeling. But the 3 other places by me had horrible reviews. I take peoples certifications with a grain of salt most of the time. Im a welder by trade with alot of certs and i know others guys with the same certs that I don't think could get two chunks of wet dog poop to stick together. To me knowledge and experience go alot farther than a sheet of paper that says your certified