Chimney Flue insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

schultzp85

Sep 15, 2018
Libertyville, il
Hey, was wondering if someone could point me in a direction or answer a question for me.

I have a savannah Drolet stove. It is in a room with a high ceiling and goes to a double insulated pipe through the drywall then out of the roof.

My question is how do I insulate the opening better?

The room that the unit is in is always 2 degrees cooler/warmer than the rest of the house. I feel like it's because there is an opening in the ceiling which just lets the outside air come inside. It does have a plate cover on the inside and the high temp insulation between the roof and the drywall. But from what I read, that you should leave a 2-inch gap from the insulation to the pipe? Is that correct? This causes a free flow of air from outside to the inside of the house?

Is this just life with a wood stove or am I missing something?

Sounds like you may need an outside air kit for the stove. With this it will us outside air for combustion.