Chimney Flue liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvalone

Nov 24, 2017
Georgia
I have an old-school open Masonary fireplace. The inspector told me the fire box itself is fine but I have cracks in my flue. My question is, can I put a stainless steel flue liner in the current flue and then put a register with a hole for the vent pipe in order to vent the brick fireplace? I have found a ton of videos and companies that sell registers but they're all out of the UK. Any suggestions?

What would the register be for?

What would the register be for?
I guess that is part of my question. Can I just run a SS flue liner down the existing flue, throw some wood in the fireplace and enjoy my open fireplace?

I am really trying to avoid putting an insert in. I hate the fact that if I put an insert in I have to look at my fire behind glass.

I guess that is part of my question. Can I just run a SS flue liner down the existing flue, throw some wood in the fireplace and enjoy my open fireplace?

I am really trying to avoid putting an insert in. I hate the fact that if I put an insert in I have to look at my fire behind glass.
Well it needs tied in to the top of the smoke chamber and lots of other details. But yes it can be lined for use as an open fireplace. But it still will not be a heater at all unless you put an insert in.

But i still dont get where the register comes in.

Just a heads up...I am not a fireplace guru so please be patient. The flue runs into a smoke chamber, then there is a damper, then the actual place the wood goes. i think...

I spoke with a "fireplace expert" at one of the major FP suppliers. He explained I could remove the damper, run a SS liner, then I would have to have a fireplace blocker fabricated. It would have a hole in it that would connect the flue to the blocker plate. He said there was a ton of DIY videos on it. Well, he lied. All I could find is FP Registers. I attached a picture I think is what he was describing. However it appears this technique is only if attaching a stove which I do not want to do. Does this clarify?

Attachments

• stove24.jpg
    stove24.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 136
That's a classic pic of a liner with a block off plate ready for an insert.

I think that's what you want except the plate should have a "peak" in it (smoke chamber) and the liner should be flush with the top.

Yeah i have seen half ass installs where they used a metal plate like that. But it is not a very good way to do it. You want it tied in with masonry. You also need to be sure the liner is sized properly. And it should be insulated. And after all that work and moneu it still wont make any heat.

That's a classic pic of a liner with a block off plate ready for an insert.

I think that's what you want except the plate should have a "peak" in it (smoke chamber) and the liner should be flush with the top.
No you dont want a metal plate.

Let me ask another question. My wife could care less about heating the house via fireplace. She wants the classic, romantic, cozy, open fireplace. We live in North GA so not like we are dealing with brutal northern winters. That being said an insert sounds like the obvious choice, but can you burn wood in them and leave the glass door open for the "ambiance"?

Let me ask another question. My wife could care less about heating the house via fireplace. She wants the classic, romantic, cozy, open fireplace. We live in North GA so not like we are dealing with brutal northern winters. That being said an insert sounds like the obvious choice, but can you burn wood in them and leave the glass door open for the "ambiance"?
Yes many of them you can.

if you're just going for ambiance have you looked into gas logs? even if it had to run on propane if you're not burning it for heat it shouldn't be to bad price wise for fuel.

if you're just going for ambiance have you looked into gas logs? even if it had to run on propane if you're not burning it for heat it shouldn't be to bad price wise for fuel.
The fireplace and liner would still need fixed for gas logs

the op said the fire box was ok, if going just for ambiance, would gas logs need a lighter walled, non insulated liner?
No gas logs require exactly the same thing as wood.

Reactions: edyit