Chimney Flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboss1237

Nov 25, 2015
Dillsburg PA
I currently have a Fire Boss wood stove. It does the job. But upon doing some research on this forum. I think it's best to get a smaller, newer more efficient wood stove for the main living area. Now I don't want to necessarily get rid of this one. I'd like to put it in the basement. But the problem is the flue hole that was used for boiler is on the other side of the wall. Basement is kind of cut in 2. With a big opening to walk through. Question is, how hard and could I even put another hole on the other side of the wall. And connect with the current flue?

Making the hole isn't too bad. But 2 stoves can't be used on the same flue. Can't be done safely, sorry.

Yep, all of the stove manuals I've seen say something like "must not share the flue with another appliance."

He said it was used for the boiler so I am assuming it isnt anymore. Cutting the hole is not that hard doing it without destroying the clay liner is hard.

Making the hole isn't too bad. But 2 stoves can't be used on the same flue. Can't be done safely, sorry.
I have 3 flues. upstairs wood stove, fire place and basement furnace. We don't use the furnace since I had a chimney fire. We would reline the basement flue and use that for the old woodstove

The flue needs redone anyway so that''s not the issue. Just didn't know if I could structurally do it
What would be the horizontal distance from the stove location past the wall to the old boiler flue hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.