Chimney for Englander 17-VL a bit short?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darl Bundren

Jan 9, 2008
WNC
I have nearly finished a sunroom renovation that includes the installation of a chimney for a 17-VL. The stove manual says the stove requires a 15' chimney for proper installation; at present, my chimney measures about 14' 3" from where the stove top will eventually be. I installed using the 3-2-10 formula so I'm good above the roof, but will the 9" difference affect the performance of the stove that much?

I can pony up the money and buy a 12" section of Class A and install it, but I do not want to have to do that unless necessary.

Thanks!

I wouldn't worry about such a small difference. Some of the specs are a little conservative anyway. It depends a bit on the stove, though. Some draw more easily than others. I'm not sure about the 17-VL. My stove would like 15' also, but draws quite well on 13' but it is known to be forgiving that way.

Also, see how they measure flue length. I've read that the more formal definition of total flue length includes the depth of the stove, in which case you'd be okay anyway. You may want to check with Englander about that. I can't remember where I've seen that or how it would affect you're situation.

We have an Englander rep that is active on this forum. Maybe he will chime in.

If the stovepipe and chimney are a straight up and out the roof installation I would try it out. It may be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.