Chimney for New Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirage

Oct 19, 2015
CT
Hi! We have decided on either getting an Osburn 2300 and Jotul F500 Oslo (seems like it will really depend on which ones comes into the room the smallest amount). I have gotten a few quotes on getting a stainless chimney installed. We narrowed it down to two guys (both seem nice and both have been in business for over 10 years). One guy is proposing using Metalbestos double wall stainless for around $2400 installed, and the other is using Ventis double wall stainless for around $3000 installed.

Just wondering if anyone had a preference between the two types of chimneys? Thanks!

Metalbestos is from Selkirk (Hart & Cooley) and is a good product. However it creates metal to metal joints in the connections which allows heat to conduct / radiate through at the joints. The Ventis product is made by Olympia and they are the only manufacturer that I know of who offers a connection that is made of un-inturupted insulation avoiding hot-spots on the pipe. Both are good quality companies so the question is what is your priority... Maybe you can get the guy offering the Ventis down on price? I would pay a little more for the Olympia product.

Metalbestos is from Selkirk (Hart & Cooley) and is a good product. However it creates metal to metal joints in the connections which allows heat to conduct / radiate through at the joints. The Ventis product is made by Olympia and they are the only manufacturer that I know of who offers a connection that is made of un-inturupted insulation avoiding hot-spots on the pipe. Both are good quality companies so the question is what is your priority... Maybe you can get the guy offering the Ventis down on price? I would pay a little more for the Olympia product.
Perfect, thanks! If there was a difference and one was better than the other, I wouldn't mind as much. They aren't that far off from each other. If there was no difference, why pay more? Haha, thanks a lot for your response.

Status
Not open for further replies.