Chimney height for my 17-vl installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sparta

Mar 31, 2017
Richland, Oregon
I have read other posts where a 17 v-l is installed with less than the 15' of recommended chimney length. I plan on installing near an outside wall (in a 1080sqft mobile) and will have 5' of double wall connector pipe from stove to ceiling, and the Duravent mobile home chimney kit that comes with 4' of above roof chimney which ends 2-1/2' above the roof peak height.( only 18" rise from eaves to peak) Since this will only be a total of about 9-1/2 '

I figure I need to add at least a 3' section (and brace), giving 7' on the roof, 5-1/2' above ridge line....but still only about 12-1/2' total. Should I add two 3' sections for a total of 10' outside chimney to total the required 15'?

Other relevant factors: the home is on a windy hillside, 80' above creek level and 700' below ridge. Lots of swirling air and downdrafts. No trees or other structures near. Install is on the side of the house away from the slope.

15' is the required minimum chimney height for the 17-VL. The result may be disappointing trying to go less. Could the stove be located more centrally for more height within the interior? If not, maybe consider an alternate stove that works better on a shorter stack?

Could the stove be located more centrally for more height within the interior?

That would only gain 18" with other drawbacks. My wife's preference is for Morso 3112 (thinks the slab sided 17-VL looks like a radiator box from the side), but it has 16' exhaust requirement and is $700 more. Our first choice was the little 58 pound ,10" across top and 25.5" tall Kimberly which only needs 5+ feet of 3" pellet stove exhaust . Lower cost is why I have looked at the Morso and Englander 17-VL. Is there anything for under $ 2,000 that has outside air for mobile home use is only 18"x18" or 12.5"x20.5" and might work with a 10' stack?
So....unless we spring for Kimberly ($3995) I guess it is ten feet of stack sticking up from my roof.

Do I need just one roof support for 10" of chimney on the roof and can it handle wind without blowing over?

The chimney needs a brace every 5 ft above where it exits the roof, so 2 braces for a 10ft chimney. For a small stove consider the Jotul F3CB or F602CB. They take a bigger stick for less frequent reloading. It's not in the manual but we had the F3CB on an 11 ft chimney and it worked ok.