Chimney height for my altitude

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My stove recommends a 15 foot chimney at sea level. I'm at 3300 feet. It's 6 inch chimney. 5 feet single wall to ceiling, 5 feet class A throught attic, class A above roof. 17 feet OK?
It may be fine. Double-wall stove pipe would help keep the flue gases hotter which would help draft a little.

Your stove manual should list the recommended flue height. If it only does so at sea level, I suggest to add 1.5-2 ft to that for an elevation of 3300 ft.

If you don't have elbows or horizontal runs, 17 ft seems right then.

The stove manual seems to recommend single wall connector pipe. In fact where it says double wall the manual says "N/A".
What stove? Sometimes they don't list double-wall because they didn't test with it.

That's the Englander Madison. I would try it out and see how it performs.

Reactions: strategy400