Chimney height w/CAK4A Kit on HeatnGlo North Star and Heatilator Consitution?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can anybody tell me if I need to deduct the height of the CAK4A kit that is required on these units from the effective height of the chimney?
It's the ducted air thing that goes on top of the fireplace and the chimney sits on it. It comes with the fireplace and is required to use, but says "See CAK4A kit instructions for installation" and I can't find those instructions online anywhere and I don't have the fireplace yet, so I can't get a good fix on if the chimney goes down into it or sits on top or what.

I need to order the Chimney pieces for my retrofit.
Anyone install one of these that can enlighten me? It's also very similar to the CAK5A kit used on the Quadra-Fire 7100, same design, just slight bigger I believe.

Thanks!

Ken

I've recently started installing the 7100 into my cabin in West Branch, MI. I postponed the install at the point where we would start putting the chimney together. Unfortunately, I didn't think to grab the instructions before I left town (so they are still in the fireplace). Otherwise, I would be more than happy to help you, but quite frankly I've searched all over the web for the same manual. I feel your pain.

On my 7100, the chimney is installed into the top of the fp and then the outside air kit "wraps" around the chimney so it does not sit on top of it in my installation. This was a few years back so not sure if it has changed.

Tim, this would make sense. In your opinion, how does the CAK4A actually provide air to the SL300 in order to insulate it? And do you feel as though it does a good job?

It actually works surprisingly well. When the air-cooled chimney is installed, it is actually raised up and inch or two from the top of the stove on the outside pipe while the inner pipe gets seated down into the top of the firebox. This allows the space needed to get the air in between the two chimney pipes. The kit then seals this area off with sheetmetal which draws air into if from the outside pipe that connects to it. When in operation in winter, if you go outside and put your hand over the intake, there is quite a large amount of air getting drawn in and really cools the pipe off. In fact, I had a few fires in it before my surround was completed and you could hold your hand on the chimney right above this and it was quite cool. A few feet up in the attic, the pipe would be warm to the touch so I would say it worked well.

Tim, thanks for the reply. When you ran the pipe through the roof, do you have a chase/surround to enclose the pipe, or is that bare pipe jutting out into the elements? I'm not sure which direction I am going to go with this.

It ran up through an outside chase, but still came out the top about 3' or 4' of exposed pipe. Many other fireplaces are installed like this in the neighborhood so it looked fine IMHO.

Tim IA said:
It actually works surprisingly well. When the air-cooled chimney is installed, it is actually raised up and inch or two from the top of the stove on the outside pipe while the inner pipe gets seated down into the top of the firebox. This allows the space needed to get the air in between the two chimney pipes. The kit then seals this area off with sheetmetal which draws air into if from the outside pipe that connects to it. When in operation in winter, if you go outside and put your hand over the intake, there is quite a large amount of air getting drawn in and really cools the pipe off. In fact, I had a few fires in it before my surround was completed and you could hold your hand on the chimney right above this and it was quite cool. A few feet up in the attic, the pipe would be warm to the touch so I would say it worked well.

Thanks alot for your reply Tim, I kinda wonder exactly how that thing worked. What is doing the drawing of air I wonder? (Is it a powered fan?) or is it just a natural secondary draft running up the wall of the pipe?
So then from what your saying, it looks as though I just don't include that at all in my calculations for effective chimney height and ordering the pieces of chimney, and I would calculate the height from the top of the fireplace then.

Thanks again!

Ken

That is correct. (Unless something has changed in the newer models).

Status
Not open for further replies.