Chimney help around soffit (pics included)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KeithD

Sep 22, 2023
Ontario
Hi all, I’m a complete novice so bear with me

We would like to install a wood stove in our basement. Nothing fancy, just something to warm up approx 1000 sq ft. Not a primary heat source.

The stove has to go in the corner. Pipe out through the raised foundation up the wall.

I contacted a local installer and basically was told it’s impossible to do what I want. Would not give me a quote. He says the soffit is not wide enough to go through and it’s illegal to go around. Mentioned building a chase but it would be prohibitively expensive.

Here’s where the chimney must go. 16’ is from the ground to the soffit
E8B6D230-8470-47EE-90FE-C6E103E822CD.jpeg

Here is the width of the soffit. 12.5 inches from the siding j trim to the fascia board

7BBA1BF4-6FA5-4464-8CA1-3129FC8C19A6.jpeg

What is possible here? I would think that a 6” pipe with an 8” outer diameter could be flashed in there, allowing 2” clearance, the fascia board may have to be terminated in front to allow clearance but the trough could remain?

Other options?
Could the chimney be brought out further to just avoid the soffit all tighter? I don’t see any brackets long enough for that
Notch the entire soffit, would have to run a downspout parallel to the chimney)
Any ideas?

Thanks to any help, we will resort to gas if wood is impossible.

A pellet stove might be an option. I think they typically have smaller diameter flue's.

There’s a window in the way on the other side of that corner, but it still presents the same problem as it’s a hip roof.

By straight up do you mean just straight up outside the soffit/trough? I have no problem with that at all, the installer here said it couldn’t be done. That would put the chimney approx 16-18” away from the house all the way up. The corner of the home is kind of hidden so I’m not too worried about aesthetics.

I would put it through there. Assuming a truss isn’t in the way. Cutting a piece of fascia board wouldn’t hurt anything.

Do you mean right through the interior of the house? That’s not really an option as it would have to go right through our bedroom on the main floor.

Or if you mean right through the soffit, that’s what the pro said can’t be done, not enough space. I am getting other quotes, I’m just trying to be a little more prepared of what’s possible and not.

Do you mean right through the interior of the house? That’s not really an option as it would have to go right through our bedroom on the main floor.

Or if you mean right through the soffit, that’s what the pro said can’t be done, not enough space. I am getting other quotes, I’m just trying to be a little more prepared of what’s possible and not.
You need 12” total. 2” To a combustible. I do this everyday. It’ll work. Going out around the gutter isn’t possible.

Reactions: KeithD

You’ll have to build a chase around it, but it’d be in the corner of the room. You’d have a better draft, and it’d look better from the outside.

Often times a soffit isn't big enough to have proper clearance. Or the installer is concerned it’ll be too difficult.

The guy sounds lazy to me. Anything is possible for money. Why couldnt you just go out from the house farther, then up?

Couldn't something like this be done and install a cricket to deflect weather.

download.jpeg

Reactions: begreen
Yup, the soffit can be notched. Thanks for the good picture. It will take redoing a section of the gutter and probably an additional downspout.

The wood stove is an area heater. Is the purpose of the stove to heat the basement or whole house? If most of the time is spent on the main floor then consider putting the stove on that floor. Is there easy access to the basement from outside? Lugging wood through the house to the basement gets old quickly.

Reactions: Supersurvey
Yup, the soffit can be notched. Thanks for the good picture. It will take redoing a section of the gutter and probably an additional downspout.

The wood stove is an area heater. Is the purpose of the stove to heat the basement or whole house? If most of the time is spent on the main floor then consider putting the stove on that floor. Is there easy access to the basement from outside? Lugging wood through the house to the basement gets old quickly.
The purpose of the stove is just to heat up the basement. Stove on the main floor or in different location are not options we are considering. If no one will put the chimney through the soffit, I will likely put a gas stove in. Have another guy coming to look at it this week.