Chimney help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Massery94

Oct 3, 2022
Sand lake, NY
Looking for help on installing a new wood stove. Ran single wall and found out that’s a no no. Can’t figure out what kind of class a pipe will fit this.
AD13A6A6-E815-4436-9BF7-BA93029B1291.jpeg
A28C11D1-CF60-4705-A0E8-1B92C908D031.jpeg
50100309-B9ED-43A9-A99D-2D62D8FE7C8C.jpeg

Yikes. That is really unsafe. I am glad you asked for help.
The blocked-off corner is a waste of space. I'd tear it all down and set the stove properly in the corner. That will make the room larger and it will permit a safe installation of the connector pipe. Also, the stove may work better.

Reactions: Dieselhead
The blocked-off corner is a waste of space. I'd tear it all down and set the stove properly in the corner. That will make the room larger and it will permit a safe installation of the connector pipe. Also, the stove may work better.
Do you know what manufacturer that chimney pipe is?

Where does it say you can’t run that far horizontally?
Every chimney manufacturer gives a maximum allowable horizontal run. We need to know what type of chimney you have. But regardless you can only get 15 and 30 degree elbows even if allowed I don't see how you would make it work. And maintenance is not going to be fun.

As a professional I would not work on this setup as is and wouldn't be willing to even try to make the connection with class a as it sits. There is just to much potential for problems

There is a difference between (black) stove pipe and chimney pipe.

The former can run horizontal, but cant go thru a wall. Once you go thru a wall it has to be chimney pipe (class A chimney). And that has limits on horizontal distances.