Chimney/insert question for new home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lburg

Hearth Supporter
Jul 20, 2009
Central KY
We are thinking of building a new home and my wife has picked out a floor plan with the fireplace toward the front of the house. If we install a zero clearance insert where the gas fireplace is shown on the attached floorplan will I be able to 45 the chimney in the attic so the chimney is on the backside of the house? Also, can a zero clearance insert be installed in a wood framed box and the chimney route through the attic wrapped in insulation?

Thanks

Attachments

• Floor Plan.jpg
    Floor Plan.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 279
Yes and Yes. Make sure when your shopping for a fireplace to NOT use the term "insert" Call it a gas fireplace. If possible, use a direct vent fireplace for the million reasons you'll find on this forum. So walk into a showroom, ask the salesperson to see a direct vent gas fireplace. Also, dont ask for a "corner" fireplace or the salesperson will need to ask you a few more probing questions so....

"I would like to see a some direct vent fireplaces that can be installed in a corner (kitty corner, caddy corner, whatever they say near you). If the salesperson is decent, he'll ask you how much wall space out each wall you have before you hit a window, etc. so have that info handy.

Thanks for your response. Sorry if I didn't explain what I am doing very well but I am wanting to put in a zero clearance woodburning insert. Can I still route the chimney and install in wood framed box?

Thanks,

Thanks for your response and link. I don't have any plans or specs yet. My wife found that floor plan online and I will be drawing the house plans. We will modify the above floor plan a little but the wood burning insert will be where the gas fireplace is drawn on the above floor plan. I figure I will have a 6 or 8 inch chimney going straight up into the attic and then 45 the chimney over to the back side of the house and then go out the back side of the house. Are there any design standards/codes for a chimney or should I just check with manufacture?

Can there be a 45 on the flue pipe on a ZC fireplace or is it restricted like class A is to 30 or 15 deg. elbows?

like one of the posters said it is not an insert. It is a zero clearance fire place, whether it's gas or wood. An insert goes into an existing fireplace. On the pipe that you will be using for your wood burning fire place it is most likely that you will only be able to use 15 or 30 degree off sets. I havent heard of any class A pipe or pipe specific to a certain brand of fire place having 45's. Zero clearance fire places use pipe specifically made for their brand of unit or they have a list of brands that can be used with their unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.