Chimney Inspection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Installed a Hearthstone Equinox last January and burned through April. Yesterday, I took the chimney cap off and took a look at the 8" pipe. All I had were some black spots that I flicked off with my finger. The spots were the size of a nickel. Do you think I need to get the chimney cleaned or will my first burns be suffucient? My pipe runs 20' straight up.

Thanks, Jeff

jlow said:
Installed a Hearthstone Equinox last January and burned through April. Yesterday, I took the chimney cap off and took a look at the 8" pipe. All I had were some black spots that I flicked off with my finger. The spots were the size of a nickel. Do you think I need to get the chimney cleaned or will my first burns be suffucient? My pipe runs 20' straight up.

Thanks, Jeff

little flakes are no big deal as far as a chimney fire goes, but enough of them could tinkle down the pipe and make a mound of ash buildup on top of the baffle, leading to backpuffing, smoke in house, etc... if you clean the chimney, be carefull when you get to the bottom w/ the brush... you don't want to smash it thru the lightweight fiber baffle.

I would probably clean it this year whether you need it or not. It's a new install so it would probably be good to see what comes out and get a good look at it after it's first season of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.