Chimney install for a Oil Burner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winebrat

Sep 23, 2007
Hi, I've been here before but had to re-register...been a LONG while and was only for a specific reason...as is now...

So we are planning on replacing our power vent (YUK!) for our oil burner/boiler with a chimney (Class A DuraPlus). I am buying the materials and our contractor will be installing it. Every "chimney company" I had in for an estimate winds up being way too shady for me, and since I know what has to be done, just can't physically do it, I am going this route...to my question...

Per the boiler manual (Peerless WBV-03), the flu size is 6" (existing) yet it says the chimney should be 8x8...wouldn't this mean I need an 8" chimney pipe? How does one connect the 6" flu with the 8" chimney? The wall thimbles come in one size (6", 7" 8") not one size on one side and another size on the other side. The companies I had come in said a 6" chimney, but they never looked at the specs in the manual. Can I do a 6" chimney? I tried calling and emailing Peerless (oil burner company) and got no responses. I am ready to order the parts, but am unsure if to order the 6" or 8". The minimum draft required is -.05"

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

6" round chimney is fine - the only reason they spec 8x8 with masonry is that the ID of such a flue tile is often less than 7" sq, and as little as 6" square.

So a 6" ID metal chimney or even a 6" ID round masonry chimney would do - so would a square 8x8 (usually 6 3/4 ID)

Craig gave you correct accurate advice To simplify matters you only need to vent into a chimney the same size as the flue collar

The connector pipe can be 26 gage galvanized pipe into a metal pipe rated for all fuel If a class A is rated for all fuel then it can be used but required is oil fuel listing

I'm not sure all Class A chimneys are listed for oil appliance exhaust. I would have to research NFPA oil burner codes. Fire Depts usually issue oil burner permits along with oil storage permits

Really I usually double check the fire dept signature as part of my final inspection I basically inspect the obvious setup and confirm the efficiency test .

If need be I have the oil burner codes here on my lap top I can check out the requirements I do know all fuel pipe iis approved

Thanks, both of you. The triple wall is approved for oil, so I am good there. When I asked our code officer what to look for he said there is no official code for it in our township, but he goes by the manual, so I wanted to be sure to interpret the manual correctly.

Oil-burner code is usually a fire Dept issue they use NFPA 31 as the governing code along with the manufacturer's listing

Just got this back from Peerless...
"The 8 x 8 refers to a tile lined chimney. The 8" is outside dimensions, the
inside is about 6-1/2". A 6" round for your chimney is fine."

You guys rock!

Status
Not open for further replies.