Chimney Install & Stove Placement Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linckeil

Mar 3, 2008
newtown ct
this is a 2 part question.

part 1 - see the first photo below. it is my roof that will soon have a stainless chimney sticking out of it once the woodstove is installed. you can see there is an existing brick chimney there which is shared by the fireplace and the furnace - this chimney is 2 feet higher than the roof peak. the wood stove manufacturer's manual dictates that the stainless chimney needs to be 2 feet higher than anything within a 10 foot radius. the peak of the roof and the brick chimney is within 10 feet, so obviously it needs to be 2 feet higher than the peak. now that would put the stainless chimney at the same level as the brick chimney. is this what i have to do, or do i need to go 2 feet higher than the brick chimney (4 feet higher than the peak)? of the dealers i have spoken to, about half say 2 feet above the peak (even with brick chimney), and half say 2 feet above the brick chimney.

and anything taller than 5 feet coming out of the roof needs bracing, is that correct?

part 2 - see the second photo below. this is where i plan to install the stove in the house. the cardboard is cut to the minimum allowable hearth dimensions and the red lines are the stove dimensions. it is currently placed at the minimum manufacturer dimensions from the baseboard heaters, not the wall. my question is when placing the stove, are my minimum dimensions measured to the wall, or to the heater? the baseboard heaters are not "combustible" as far as i know, so i would say it would be to the wall, but i'm not sure.... and would any inspector have a problem with the baseboard heaters there? what about the outlets? i don't imagine they would.

i will be running both these questions past the local town inspector before the install, but wanted to get some input here. thanks for reading.

Attachments

• roof.jpg
    roof.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 524
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 527
Most manuals have special guidelines for distances from other chimneys. I would not think you would have to go 2ft above the brick chimney especially since its all non-combustible.

I would not count the metal base heats in your clearance measurements, especially since the stove wont get as hot way down there.

What's the stove make and model?

It's a Hearthstone Mansfield.

Any other thoughts on the chimney height and/or baseboard heater issue? The answer to these 2 questions should be the same regardless of who the stove manufacturer is (I think)....

Consult the manual and look for distances to existing chimneys. I would not consider the existing chimney "roof" and would not use it in measuring for the 2/10 rule.

The final say comes from your AHJ (building inspector) pretty much no matter what the manual says. A sensible inspector would trust things that the manual clearly states.

well thats just it... the manual makes no mention of clearances to existing chimneys. if the manual clearly stated it, i wouldn't be asking.... but i would agree that the existing chimney is not considered "roof" as well - but i'm not sure.

as i said, i will run this by the inspector before the installation. i'm sure a new chimney has been installed within 10 feet of an existing chimney before, but the manual, nor any internet research i've done addresses this specific situation. couple this with the fact that stove dealers i have spoke to give me different answers on the issue and this is why i am asking here.

Did you say how close the new chimney will be in relation to the brick chimney? i.e. where is it on the roof? If looks aren't an issue why not go the 2 extra feet just in case wind around the brick chimney (under some circumstances) would cause swirls/downdrafts that would affect your wood stove draft. Also, even with out the brick chimney issue 2 extra feet of chimney will give you better draft.

the chimney will be located in the lower right corner of the roof pictured in the photo, placing it about 7 feet from the existing brick chimney.

thats a good point about the increased draft and i had considered it, but even if i go to the same level as the brick chimney, that will be around 6 feet of chimney sticking out of the roof. go 2 feet higher and thats 8 feet!! thats a tall chimney. the additional cost as well as the additional eye sore is shying me away from going this high, unless of course code mandates that i do.

Status
Not open for further replies.