Chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skullb

Hearth Supporter
Feb 8, 2010
Central KY
New here and thankful for an opportunity to discuss my dillema. Want to install a wooburning stove in the basement of my home. I currently have a pre-exisitng double walled chimney in place that was installed for the purpose of connecting to a prefrabricated fireplace. The current double wall, (8 inch inside a 12 inch either galvanized steel or aluminum?), runs through a wood framed, stone veneer enclosure which serves as the prominent feature on the exterior of the home and ends just beneath the floor joists into a concrete alcove of the basement begins. The woodstove of course sits on a concrete basement floor in this same alcove. The alcove is 36" X 50" and 9 feet tall. In other words I have three 9 ft tall walls forming an alcove where the stove will sit. Directly above this I have the exisitng double wall originally installed to accomodate a prefab that starts where the concrete ends and ends 4 feet above the peak of the roof and is encased in a wood framed stone veneered "chimney". Question: Can is run a 4 inch flexible liner inside the exisitng double wall and connect directly to the wood stove? I have a similar set up on the main floor fo the house where I placed an insert into a prefrab and used a liner to vent it. Why wouldn't the same apply to this installment. Everything I have read recommends a class A only, however I do not know how it would be possible to install a class A and support it inside the exisitng wood framed structure without tearing everthing apart.

yes, 4 inch flue on the stove. No pics. like I said it's a basement, I simply want to run a liner down the exisitng double wall and connect to either a stovepipe or directly to the stove.

I think if you wrap the 4" liner with ceramic wool you should be ok. The connection from the stove pipe to the existing pipe is where I would be careful. If that double wall pipe is not coming down past the frame of that ceiling area at least a few inches, you may want to make some adjustments. What kind of stove is this? Havent seen a wood stove with a 4" flue in a while. Maybe an old European job?

Wood Heat Stoves said:
does your stove have a 4" flue??
i am confused

pictures??

Movings costs and a downpayment on my new home in Cali as a signing bonus so I can move out of NY, Wood Heat Stoves..lets go!

Franks said:
Wood Heat Stoves said:
does your stove have a 4" flue??
i am confused

pictures??

Movings costs and a downpayment on my new home in Cali as a signing bonus so I can move out of NY, Wood Heat Stoves..lets go!

go where? i can show you some nice spots to swim in the river, hehe

errr. my mistake I have a 6 inch flue noty a 4 inch. The exisitng double wall is galvanized steel an 8" inside a 12" designed to vent a prefabricated fireplace. I want to place a 6" stainless steel liner inside the exisitng system and connect directly to the stove. I plan to extend the exisitng system below grade where there are no combustibles. Does this sound reasonable? Or am I missing something? The ceramic wool is a good thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.