Chimney install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredo

Nov 24, 2011
Mi
Well, I FINALLY got the call I have been waiting so PATIENTLY for. My chimney is going to be installed onto my Osburn 2000 woodstove tomorrow.

Wow, pinch me, tell me to breath for goodness sake! It's finally gonna happen and I hope that (some) of the oak that I purchased last week is seasoned enough to burn?

Hopefully the first few small fires that I burn will burn and cure stove? I even called Osburn Company and asked them specifically about this issue. They assured me that curing stove is NOT Caustic but to open windows to evacuate fume odors.

I will keep you posted fellas and hopefully next update I will have a toasty stove burning.

Thanks
Fredo

Just be aware when you buy wood you normally should let it dry longer,its usally six months dry at the most. Oak usually needs to dry for at least 2 years in order to burn properly! What I am getting at is dont get frustrated and think your stove sucks if it doesnt burn with fresh bought oak. As for curing woowee it can stink and at the same time I have had a stove that could barely be smelled at all but smoked something feirce. Good luck with the new stove if it has problems and you need help let me know (pm me) and I can take a jog over and see if I can help.

Enjoy the wood & post pics
Pete

Pete1983, thanks my friend for wanting to help me out with new stove. As for the oak, it should be seasoned like my oak dealers mentioned. It sat in their wood shack, seasoning, and should be burnable according to them.

My wife and neighbor look at me as though I am nuts about curing/odor of stove. They think that stove will not smell.I hope they are correct but I am ready to open many of the surrounding windows in my living room when I light Er up.

Hope I can sleep tonight? Feels like the day before christmas for me....

Fredo

Fredo said:
Pete1983, thanks my friend for wanting to help me out with new stove. As for the oak, it should be seasoned like my oak dealers mentioned. It sat in their wood shack, seasoning, and should be burnable according to them.

My wife and neighbor look at me as though I am nuts about curing/oder of stove. They think that stove will not smell.I hope they are correct but I am ready to open many of the surrounding windows when I light Er up.

Hope I can sleep tonight? Feels like the day before christmas for me....

Fredo

This is your Christmas! Enjoy!

Haha Fredo I know the feeling enjoy your christmas by the fire its a great feeling.

pete

Not sure if it's the type of paint used but I found that the curing takes place at different temps. The 1st few weeks I ran my stove at 400-500 or so and cure smell only lasted 1 or 2 burns. As I got used to the stove and cranked it up some more I got the curing smell again for 1 or 2 burns. Maybe there's certain chemicals in the paint that won't outgas until you reach a certain temp?

Hey Guys, with all this talk about curing and odor from break in of stove, is it really that smelly? Is it a chemical odor that is going to make me want to run out of the house because it STINKS so bad? Thats the last thing I want is a lingering, chemical odor, that is going to make my home stink and family nauseous.

Maybe I am just over analyzing the unknown and should wait and see when I light my first fire. It might not be that bad after all, PLEASE!

Should I also have the Stove installer light up my first fire with me? I am confident that I can light stove myself but I think it might be a good thing for installer to be there in case there is an issue with install of stove and chimney.

Well, it's almost 8 a.m. in Lapeer County, Michigan and by 9:30 there should be saws ripping a hole through my ceiling and roof and a chimney eventually rising up and outside my house...

Thanks again to all my buds here at Hearth. I will keep you posted today and when I learn how to upload pics I will post them...

Fredo

I liken the smell to a very light odor of rattle can paint. Nothing that a fan can't take care of and never lasted longer than 1-2 cycles. You can always send the family shopping while you cure the stove the 1st day. Smell would be gone by the time they returned. Others have also lit there stoves off in the driveway before installing.

rwhite, that's good to know that I am not going to have to break out the Gas Masks. I plan on having a few small fires to break stove in and all should go well....

Thanks
Fredo

I didn't find the smell particularly bad Fredo . . . I did open the windows in the room with the stove to help lessen the effects of the smell during the break in fire.

I enjoyed the smell, and made a tent over the stove, and just hung out with my head under there until my vision became doubled ;-)
Every new, higher temp you take the stove, you will smell the paint curing smell again. This is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.