Chimney installation for a metal roof with no attic. Tell me what I would need.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nic36

Feeling the Heat
Jan 23, 2008
Decatur, Alabama
My parents heat with a wood stove. EVERYTHING about their setup is wrong. I won't go into all the details about just how bad it is, but it needs to be removed and reinstalled. They are poor and tend to cut corners on things. I'm not loaded myself, but I plan to buy the components and reinstall the chimney by the next burning season. I'm a few hours away from them, so I want to have everything I need when I attempt to do it.

The small room they have the stove in has been added by them. The ceiling construction is very simple. I asked my Dad how it was built when I was there this weekend. He said the ceiling is tongue and groove 2x6s with a metal roof on top. That is all there is to it. It appears he has a cathedral box in the hole. I tried to get him to explain how the cathedral box was supporting the chimney, but he couldn't explain it, so I gave up.

So, what do I need to properly install a chimney for this situation? Do I simply need to buy another cathedral box? It's not a necessity, but I figured I would go with a Selkirk setup since I can at least buy some of the components (like the chimney pipe) locally. The metal roof is also something I must contend with. I guess there is a kit I can purchase for that as well?

I am trying to figure out what I need by searching and reading, but if anyone has some good suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

For the metal roof I used a flashing made by excel .but it depends on the pitch of the roof.so youhave only 2inches from the ceiling to the top of the roof?

depends on the metal roof: Is it standing seam or corrugated? the former will make your install alot easier and you can use a standard flashing.... otherwise an Excel metal roof flashing or a selkirk dead soft flashing will be the answer for a screw down corrugated metal roof... If you have no attic area to contend with, I would use the support box, cut to pitch for a nice looking install without the need for joist/insulation shields to cram into your 2x6 ceiling...

Thanks for the offer Dave.

Hopefully I can get figure this out with a little guidance.

The roof is corrugated. The ceiling IS the 2 x 6s under the roofing. So, yeah, about 2 inches for the roof.

So, from what I can tell, I need a cathedral box with some kind of flexible flashing. I've read a little on the cathedral support box installation. But the instructions aren't as clear as I would like. It is usually easier for me to figure out something once I can actually hold it and look at it.

I'm getting a good idea of the setup. I just don't won't to purchase something I don't need or something that would not work as well.

Also, I forgot to add, the roof is probably a 1/12 pitch, maybe a bit more steep. I need to measure next time I'm there.

I've just recently installed a system through a metal corrugated roof in my pole barn. I've done something very similar to the Excel flashing. I have access to a sheet metal brake & bent a standard flashing. I was fortunate that the upper part of the flashing was able to slide under the ridge cap, otherwise you have to cut a slit in the roof metal. I used a Simpson close clearance support box, which is a 10" box. The standard support box is 12".

Attachments

• IMGA0229.jpg
    IMGA0229.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 6,816
  • IMGA0225.jpg
    IMGA0225.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 5,062
  • IMGA0234.jpg
    IMGA0234.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,252
Status
Not open for further replies.