Chimney is leaking!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

darktower007

Feeling the Heat
Oct 16, 2018
Chattanooga
ff9c14b99c2c276f7a614ad6a1f4562e.jpg 4d38efa1ed345cc44fa24c82c147e9b6.jpg

Came home from Virginia for Christmas and sitting on the couch, contemplating my plan to install the Ashford I hear dripping.

The inside had a puddle in it and the flue and Such inside the mixing chamber is also wet.

I did notice last time I was up there the crown is cracked. It has a cover over the flue.

Any clues on how I can identify the source and repair before I install my BK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's coming all the way from the top, it's probably not a big deal. A missing cap is getting added anyway when you line it. A broken crown can be replaced for cheap while you are up there (assuming you are doing the work).

I'd make sure of where the water was entering, then tarp it so it can dry out for cleaning before the liner goes in.

If the crown is broken and leaking, you can do that during the first warm spell. You could probably do a temporary patch with hydraulic cement today if you don't want to tarp it.

If it's coming all the way from the top, it's probably not a big deal. A missing cap is getting added anyway when you line it. A broken crown can be replaced for cheap while you are up there (assuming you are doing the work).

I'd make sure of where the water was entering, then tarp it so it can dry out for cleaning before the liner goes in.

If the crown is broken and leaking, you can do that during the first warm spell. You could probably do a temporary patch with hydraulic cement today if you don't want to tarp it.

We had about 5 inches of rain and the wind was high. There is a chimney cap on top, but it’s not very wide.

I suspect it’s not leaking at the roof line/flashing as that would mean my ceiling would be wet or walls would be wet.

Could the rain be caused by driving wind/rain entering the flue and a cracked crown?
d1762525c66d98a3b54431e1bc9f31c0.jpg

I was going to put this on the crown... not sure if it works well or not.

I’m super bummed at this point as my wood is wet due to my blew off and my chimney is leaking, and I have a brand new stove in the garage that is... just sitting there lol. [emoji30]

Not to worry, Dark tower. Certainly 5" of wind driven rain is going to make it down an opening like the top of your chimney.

Why don't you get that Ashford installed with insulated liner and new chimney cap, slap some of that crown repair on the top, then if things are leaking, worry about it then.

When heavy rain is going sideways, some will make it down the chimney.

Your wet wood will dry with some attention.

These are at worst temporary setbacks. But get that stove installed before it gets cold!

The crown is leaking i can see that by the efflorescence coming out of the cracks which were probably caused by the water. You need a crown and pointing. And the crown repair is just a bandaid and probably wont last long.

Not to worry, Dark tower. Certainly 5" of wind driven rain is going to make it down an opening like the top of your chimney.

Why don't you get that Ashford installed with insulated liner and new chimney cap, slap some of that crown repair on the top, then if things are leaking, worry about it then.

When heavy rain is going sideways, some will make it down the chimney.

Your wet wood will dry with some attention.

These are at worst temporary setbacks. But get that stove installed before it gets cold!

Thanks for the info!

The crown is leaking i can see that by the efflorescence coming out of the cracks which were probably caused by the water. You need a crown and pointing. And the crown repair is just a bandaid and probably wont last long.

So will something like this work in the interim?
b799650e9d941e23cd437250d2c72a67.jpg

Just curious what price range would crown and point cost?

bholler is right the crown is leaking. The white stains are a give-away.

Mine was leaking but you would never know just by inspecting the crown. The bond was bad between the top of the brick and the mortar wash which let in water. When I tore down the top of the chimney it was soaking wet just under the crown at the edges. I had puddles of water in the fireplace ever bad rainstorm until I fixed it.

Reactions: darktower007
So will something like this work in the interim?
View attachment 236845

Just curious what price range would crown and point cost?

To me that crap is a waste of time and money. To pour a crown and repoint we usually charge between 1500 to 2000

I looked up into the smoke chamber and the whole thing is dripping wet. Can the crown being cracked cause the whole thing to get soaked? I don’t think it’s just rain water down the flue at this point.

I looked up into the smoke chamber and the whole thing is dripping wet. Can the crown being cracked cause the whole thing to get soaked? I don’t think it’s just rain water down the flue at this point.

Yes it can.

My crown was messed up and the smoke chamber was wet.

Yikes! At least that issue appears obvious! Guessing a few of our pro's will give you a idea or two on a remedy .
You live in Beauty country! Every winter I pass through and say I am going to stop and explore. Never have yet. Lots of history to take in.

Reactions: darktower007
If you could find a large sheet of stainless or copper, that could be a cheap, fast long- term fix. You already have an idea what it'd cost to have it rebuilt out of concrete.

I’ll definitely look into that. I’ll call around and see what I can find.

Wow that is definitely letting in water. I'm surprised the bricks and joints have not failed.

I ended up buying a stainless chase cover from Rockford Chimney and it worked out great.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Going up tomorrow to measure if it ever stops raining. :(

I personally prefer a puored crown but stainless covers work

Yea I wish I did a poured concrete crown but hammering out 6 inches thick of reinforced concrete was just too much for me :eek: