Chimney liner adapter T

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squisher

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2015
vernon BC, Canada
Hello, this is my first post on here and I hope ice posted in the appropriate section.

I am replacing an ancient Lakewood wood stove with a new PE summit. In doing so I'm going to put in a 6" chimney liner. I have a nearly dead on 20' masonry chimney in place (8" chimney tile with an inside dia of 6 3/4").

My first question is if it would be appropriate to use a 2 part T connection to hook up the new stove that then allows the bottom of the chimney to exit into my original clean out trap below? I guess I'm asking if it's typical to retain the clean out or is it better to eliminate it and just remove the stove for cleaning?
image.jpg

My next question would be in regards to insulation. Would I be best to just use a 'wrap'? Seems like this could make the liner tough to install? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any and all info/recommendations and my apologies if somehow this has been widely covered and I've failed to find it.

Justin

Welcome. First thing to do is to get the chimney nice and clean. An insulated liner is desirable but it will be tight in that space. One option is to have a certified sweep come out and inspect it with a camera. If it is in great shape and the masonry has the required clearances, the chimney could be used as is.
To get an insulated liner down there could be tough. An option would be install a preinsulated liner. This doesn't need a blanket wrap. If it's tight you could get a kit in 5.5" to make the pull easier.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...Pre-Insulated-Easy-Flex-Chimney-Liner-Kit-5-5

Thanks for that. I have had a sweep out to look at my chimney in the past and I've cleaned it out myself too. I feel that the tile chimney is compromised, joint compound has come out and it looks to me where the opening is that I put a pic of is compromised where the pipe enters the chimney. I could try to get some pics of what I'm talking about but am pretty well decided on putting a stainless liner in for safety at this point.

Thanks for the reply,

Justin.

No problem. An insulated liner is definitely safer and it should stay cleaner and draft better.

Normally a tee is capped at the bottom but in this case with the cleanout close by you may want to have a short extension on it and cap that instead.

Excellent information.

I might ask in your opinion than if it would be more beneficial to step down to the 5.5 insulated wrapped pipe vs a 6" where I may get less insulation on. This is an interior chimney except for the last 4' through the roof.

If you get a pre-insulated liner there is no outside insulation blanket and no difference in the amount of insulation between the sizes.

Understood. I was asking more if the 1/2" reduction in chimney size would be a concern with going 5.5" over 6".

I am only undertaking this myself because as with a lot of things nowadays I haven't been able to find someone competent and fair to deal with locally. I was only actually able to get one person out to do a actual 'quote' which they charged me $60 non refundable for. And their quote was still open ended with a 4hr min at $160/hr one guy and all materials extra. Also my responsibility to remove and physically put into place the new stove.

This has inspired me to do the install myself. My roof is easily accessible and of a low pitch and the existing chimney is nearly straight but does have a slight jog to it.

Well I didn't come back to my thread with a lot of questions but I've done a lot of reading on here, so thanks everyone for the info. I got my summit successfully installed a few days ago.

image.jpg

Thanks again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 85
Status
Not open for further replies.