Chimney Liner Aggravation!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beo3

Hearth Supporter
Jan 24, 2009
Orange County, NY
Yesterday I decided to install a chimney liner to replace the cheapo contraption that was installed there. I was running an Avalon insert into a oval connector into 6 feet of stainless flex pipe into the chimney. I did have a blockoff plate but the draft into the house was brutal. So, I decide to install a 6 inch flex king pro liner. My terra cotta lined chimney measures 7x14 (ID) so I figured 6 inch is the correct size to use. A visual inspection first seemed ok, no broken tiles or serious misalignment issues. Alright we start, remove the insert and all of its guts, onto the roof, remove spark arrestor and start insertion of new shinny liner. The first 10 feet go fine, after that a few issue's, but a tad bit of pushing and it goes. Now the battle begins, I get to above 3 feet before the flue and we jam up. I cant go up or down, visually I can see nothing by looking into the flue from below and from up top nothing either. After some serious pushing I got the liner out of the chimney and extended 5 inches into the firebox above the damper opening (damper is removed) No damage observed to liner . I think I will just order a connector to mate up a second piece of liner pipe to my appliance. Figure its just better than ripping up my new liner. Back up onto the roof and cut the remaining 6 feet of piping off, installed cover plate with some silicone and tapcons, new spark arrestor topped it off, cleaned up and had a much needed beer.

Why does the video make it look so simple..........

Status
Not open for further replies.