Chimney Liner Basic questions...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
Let me preface this with this is the set up in my wonderful significant others house, and despite many pleas to rectify it, and promises to do so, it is still the same as it was when I first saw it a few years ago. It's now one of those things where I feel fate has been cheated for too long now and it's time to make it right, even if it means me doing the whole thing. So...

Currently the Oslow vents through a single wall pipe which has a 90 elbow that goes into the thimble through the brick hearth, wall, and into an exterior chimney. Other than the lack of having and ideal set-up for drafting, there are a few things that concern me on this.

1. Chimney is old and has never had a full inspection/camera etc...
2. The thimble appears to be two pieces and they appear to have shifted so there's a slight step mid way.
3. When I was cleaning it last year I noticed this step/gap in the thimble and was able to jam a piece of 6" single wall through the thimble into the chimney so for now, there's no voids or gaps open there.
4. Thimble clearances to anything have never been verified, it's behind brick. Wall insulated with newspaper and hay. 1800 home.

I would like to install a liner this year, they seem pretty straight forward, but I can't seem to find answers to the following questions.

What happens at the bottom of the "T"? I see they have block off's for them, but it's going to be about 4' above my clean out door on the chimney.
Do I extend this with liner to the bottom and plug it there?
Do I leave it open and rely on the chimney clean out door to make the air tight seal? I imaging this wouldn't work once "insulation" was installed

I can't find any dimensions on the snout part of the "T" that goes through the thimble. The stove vents out through a 6" pipe, but the ID of the thimble is also 6". Is there a 5.5" o.d. snout out there for these situations or am I getting involved in changing out the thimble?

Thanks in advance for any input. If it gets too involved I'm going to remove said chimney, thimble, hearth and install a stainless pipe set-up.

2014-09-11 13.59.18.jpg

You can either cap the tee where it is or extend the pipe down and put a second tee at the bottom for a cleanout i would do the second just make sure it is sealed at the bottom either with a tee cap or a tight fitting cleanout door. It should be a 6" snout which means that you may need to remove the existing thimble which you have said is already cracked anyway. You still need to verify prober clearances to that crock.

Thanks for the input. Since it's all brick (which we're really not that fond of) on the inside and all block chimney on the outside, only way to really verify clearances it to remove one or the other.
Seeing how as the chimney is ugly as well (basic block added on at some point) that'll probably go too.

Looks like it's time for a re-build of that area. Think we'll probably just go with stainless class A on the outside and a new look on the inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.