Chimney liner - do I need one?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeburn

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 5, 2008
USA
I'll make this to the point. I'm wondering if I need a chimney liner?

Wood furnace connected to interior masonry chimney. 6" outlet on furnace.

18' high, 7.25" round inside diameter, terra cotta clay lined. I don't think the tiles are bad because the previous owner used the chimney for oil burner from 1972 to 1993 when nat gas furnace was installed. I used it last year and the previous year. Only thing was the top of the chimney wasn't quite high enough above the roof line. I solved that problem temporarily by adding another 2 ft section of clay liner and cemented around it. Looks terrible, but works.

Is a stainless liner recommended for this application? Do I cut off the added clay tile and just extend the stainless up higher? Your thoughts/recommendations? If a liner is recommended, where is the best place to get one?

I would say you don't need a liner. That liner is well within the requirements for size, and is internal. If your tiles aren't cracked and the chimney isn't in bad shape I wouldn't line. What type of chimney is it? Having something thats 2 feet above thats not protected would be a place to collect creosote easily. If its brick, why not have someone add a couple of feet to it?

Be nice to have some Pic's?

Not sure what you mean by the "type" of chimney. It's the cement chimney blocks (I want to say 12" X 12" maybe larger?) with mortar in between, then the clay liners are cemented inside that vertically.

The piece I added on to the top actually doesn't have any creo in it after I cleaned it. It looks new! Sorry, can't get pics right now, camera on fritz.

I've got an 8" round tile lined flue and it's worked well with both the prior ancient-technology hot air wood furnace and, for the last several winters, my Econoburn gasification boiler.

PYBYR - Good to know, I think I'll just leave well enough alone and remember to clean it. Do you have a chimney cap on yours? If so, any problems with creosote dripping off onto chimney?

freeburn said:
PYBYR - Good to know, I think I'll just leave well enough alone and remember to clean it. Do you have a chimney cap on yours? If so, any problems with creosote dripping off onto chimney?

No cap, though I probably should

Status
Not open for further replies.