Chimney liner for Hampton hi300

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeypuck

Feeling the Heat
Sep 6, 2009
south central NH
So I have made my decision. I am going to do the HI300 insert. The dealer told me that it has a 5.5 inch flu. I though about just installing a 6" pipe (incase the HI300 goes I can use it for another stove) but the adapter costs 60 bucks and I like the 5.5" pipe because it will make it easier to get through the 6" damper opening. With all of that said, what am I to look for in a liner. I have search some past posts and still have some questions:

1. What does the 316L mean? More specifically what does the "L" mean?
2. Judging by price the 304 is better than the 316? This does not make sense but maybe someone can enlighten me.
3. What are some good quality brands I can source online?

I am going to do the install myself. I am more than capable to do the work with the help of a friend. I have a center chimney so insulation should not be a problem. I am somewhat concerned about the cap. Right now I have a large stainless cap that covers both the existing fireplace flue (10x10) and oil burner flu (8x8). Are there liner caps that will fit under the existing cover and still give me 5" of clearance? All of the liner caps that I see extend 3 or 4 inches above the base plate. I would say that there is only 7" of clearance under the existing cap.

Thanks in advance.

I would go with whatever liner you think is going to best fit your application. I dont know the lifespan of a flexible liner so when or if you ever change out the HI300, you might be replacing the liner anyways?
According to the website below 304 is for wood and pellet fireplaces. 316 is for Gas oil and coal, and is almost 2x the price. There is also a 316Ti which is the cheapest and is called "easy flex, so that says to me thin and is rated for all fuel types.
http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Champion-EasyFlex-316Ti-Chimney-Liner-Kits/Chimney-Champion-Easy-Flex-316Ti-Liner-Kit-6-Dia-

Here is a Link to stainless grades. The link below describes 316L as a steel that is impervious to corrosion the L stands for low carbon and for welding of thicker material. (a grade even higher is 316LVM not used for stove or lining, is medical grade stainless, which is low carbon vacuum melted, so there is no oxygen or gasses in the forming process). 304 has a minor corrosion property, but is a more ductile metal. 304 is used as the common stainless automotive exhaust.

http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=2382

<>So I have made my decision. I am going to do the HI300 insert. The dealer told me that it has a 5.5 inch flu. <>

The dealer is wrong. The Hampton has a 6" flue collar.

Yep, 6 inch on mine...

One could give the dealer the benefit of the doubt and assume there was a misunderstanding on what he said the flue size was. Or, you could suggest that he said it had a 5.5" flue because it's an easier install and so that you wouldn't question the 5.5" liner...

I know where I stand.

Ok, so I see my error. There is a difference between the 316ti and 316 l. Does this meant the 316ti is junk and should be avoided?

There is some talk about a smooth inside liner. Is this a must or will most 304 liners work for my application?

hockeypuck said:
Ok, so I see my error. There is a difference between the 316ti and 316 l. Does this meant the 316ti is junk and should be avoided?

There is some talk about a smooth inside liner. Is this a must or will most 304 liners work for my application?

316TI is far from junk and is actually the preferred metal to use.. All of my products are built with 316ti metal except our raincaps which are 304. The reason behind the difference in price on that product is that on the 304 product they are using heavy flex. One might think that heavier is better but in reality most liner manufacturers use a thinner coil made from .005 metal because of its flexibility. .005 over .006 is normally more costly to make because the metal suppliers have to roll the metal down to a smaller gauge. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me.

6" liner here as well. The 316Ti is a stainless steel liner mixed with titanium alloy for strength. The one I have installed comes with a lifetime guarantee. It's even transferable to the new owner of the house in case you move.

As far as a liner cap, I would say you don't need one if you keep you full chimney hood attached. I have a full chimney hood with no liner cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.