Chimney liner insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maumic82

Jan 5, 2014
Pennsylvania
I am preparing to install a 4" SS flex liner in an existing chimney. It is approx. a 20' run. Is it necessary to put insulation wrap on the 4" flex? I am planning on insulating from the stove to the damper opening but don't really want to insulate the whole run if it isn't necessary. Harmans manual just shows insulation at the damper pass through.

That's all that was put in mine and I believe correct.

Insulation is not required because the draft is induced by the combustion blower. Wood stoves rely on the temp of the liner itself to create draft, therefore they are insulated. Additionally, a warm liner will lower the possibility of creosote forming from the smoke condensing. Pellet stoves have controlled air and fuel and therefore do not smoke while in operation. If you ask a chimney sweep, they will tell you YES insulate. I will tell you insulation doesn't hurt and can only help but the symptoms you would be trying to prevent don't exist...for the most part.

Status
Not open for further replies.