Chimney Liner Insulator?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigun

Nov 30, 2013
Tennessee
We are about to install a wood burning insert into a fireplace in a 1973 built house. The chimney is about ~24' tall with a 11"x11" ID/13"x13" OD terracotta opening at the top, planning on using a 8" diameter liner. The chimney *IS NOT* in the middle of the house, but rather sticks a bit out of the wall of the house (6" or so). I've been looking at liners and faced with the option to purchase one with or without insulator (about a $400 difference). I've been mulling the decision in my head of whether or not the liner would be worth the money, especially since I plan on cleaning the liner annually to knock out any creosote build-up.

*AND* if it's decided I need the liner.... any recommended sites to purchase an insulated liner from?

What stove is this going to be attached to? If the stove has an 8 inch stove collar, then you'll of course want the 8 inch liner you described. Most modern stoves use a 6 inch stove collar, which then would be the liner size you should go with.

If using the 8 inch pipe, make sure you look at the dimensions / call ask about the outside diameter of the pre-insulated pipe that it will fit down OK. I think most should so long as your tiles are pretty straight, but there might not be as much extra room as you think. With a 6 inch liner, you'd have no trouble at all.

Make certain you scrub the heck out of the terracotta before the liner goes it.

Also, consider building a blockoff plate, or at least packing the area around the liner in the top of the firebox where the flue itself starts, with roxul insulation.

pen

I'm attaching it to a Forrester wood insert. It has a rectangular exhaust port (13.75" x 3.375") that needs to be adapted to whatever size I wish. I did the math and the area of the rectangle shaped exhaust worked out to 46.4" square and the 8" sleeve area worked out to ~50.24" square. If I went with a 6" sleeve, the area of vent would be ~28.26" square. A 7" would be ~38.47" square. An 8" sleeve is the only one to have a close enough area to compensate the area of the original exhaust port without going under.

Now, if it can't fit, then I'll do what I have to do and go with a smaller one. The one thing I haven't done is get a strong flashlight and shine it down the chimney to check for straight brickwork/obstructions.

As far as the cleanliness of the terracotta chimney, I had an inspector come out and inspect the chimney and clean it to burn wood in the fireplace (I was originally going to burn wood without an insert). But after I have burned two fires in the fireplace with little to no heat being put into the house, I stopped burning, closed the damper, and began to look options that would get heat out of my wood. I think the terracotta is clean enough, I looked at it after I had burned the fires and only saw a thin white layer of ash.

Which kinda brings me back to the original question: With insulator, I'm looking at adding 0.5" in diameter to the sleeve.... so assuming if I can't fit an 8" with 1/4" insulator, am I better off going with 8" with no insulator, or a 7" with insulator? Or just going with a standard size exhaust and stick a 6" with insulator?

Last edited:
As stated if insulation not used make sure you build block off plate at top of fire box.
I installed insulated 8 inch liner and built a block off plate for best of both worlds.
I had to use sawzall and cut out the damper frame in the center and chip out few fire brick to allow room to drop the 8 inch straight down and then connect to stove with T and clean out cap at very bottom.

DSC01334.JPG
DSC01336.JPG
DSC04152.JPG
DSC04155.JPG

My Vermont Castings recommends 8 inch unless keeping doors closed. Then 6 inch is fine
Most stoves need 6 inch so you should at least do some research on your stove requirements but I am thinking you will be fine with 6
I used Chimneylinerdepot.com http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/chimneylinerkit.php

My Vermont Castings recommends 8 inch unless keeping doors closed. Then 6 inch is fine
Most stoves need 6 inch so you should at least do some research on your stove requirements but I am thinking you will be fine with 6

It was made in 84', can't find anything on it. But I'll put in 6" just in case I replace it with something else in the future.

Ouch... a liner kit with 1/2" insulation (6" x 25', includes a cleaning kit), the adapter to go from rectangle port to round 6", and a container of furnace cement, a little over $900 (shipping and all)! Is that about right?

Ouch... a liner kit with 1/2" insulation (6" x 25', includes a cleaning kit), the adapter to go from rectangle port to round 6", and a container of furnace cement, a little over $900! Is that about right?

Thats about right, I paid more for the 8 inch and it hurt the wallet BUT it sure was the best money I could have spent after having piece of mind and much much better burning and heating results. My house might have burnt down by now if I did not do this. Plus the liner stays cleaner and is easy to keep clean

Status
Not open for further replies.