Chimney Liner Question-Wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DJMagafire

Jan 12, 2014
CO
Greetings-
I am installing a wood stove in my cabin. The current chimney is quite old, but is in good working order. I am wondering if it necessary to have a metal liner that fits inside of the masonry. More specifically, the 12" horizontal area that smoke travels through before going up and out the chimney. If so, what is this liner called?
Thanks in advance!

Welcome. Personally I would put in a liner if this is a modern stove. Cabin chimneys tend to be short which is poor for drafting. The horiz. piece is call a connector.

Welcome. Personally I would put in a liner if this is a modern stove. Cabin chimneys tend to be short which is poor for drafting. The horiz. piece is call a connector.
Thanks for the response! I have another question if you don't mind....
I bought the masonry connector, and am compiling the right stand pipe pieces. I have purchased a couple of Duravent DVL pieces (24" inch straight pipe and 90 degree elbow) in order to figure out how much more I need. Upon looking at the installation instructions for the Duravent, it mentions a "snap connector". I'm a bit confused if I need this piece in order to get a good connection to the masonry connector that I purchased. Here is the link for the connector:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimn...-Double-Wall-Black-Stove-Pipe-Masonry-Adapter

I would just try the connection, but I order stuff when I am in the flatlands so that I can have the right materials when I get to the hills.

Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.