Chimney liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael B

Apr 28, 2012
Mid-Maine
We had a forever flex chimney liner installed in our exterior cinder block chimney last fall. Mid winter I went to clean out the clean out and found that there's a cap at the bottom of the liner which runs just below the tee section where it enters the house. Every few weeks all winter I removed the interior pipe from the stove and wall and shop vac'd the tee area. Is there supposed to be a cap there? I assumed that the clean out would remain functional but that's not the case. is this normal or should I be contacting my chimney guy?

FYI, we heat exclusively with wood in a Nashua stove with blower.

Thanks

Yep. Gotta have that cap. If you didn't air would pull from the open end of the tee instead of through the stove and you would have lousy draft and a creosote factory on your hands due to it cooling the flue.

Makes sense. Thanks I have lots of build up already due to heating exclusively with wood and having it closed up and burning slow overnight and all day while no one is home... keeps me busy cleaning things....

Status
Not open for further replies.