Chimney Lining for Insert (flex or insulated)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

avc8130

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 6, 2010
God's Gift to Gassification
My buddy is so in love with my new wood stove that he wants to put an insert in his 30 y/0 masonry fireplace. He knows he needs to line the chimney and we both agree going all the way up will ease cleaning in the future and make for a better draft. With Uncle Obama offering 30% (don't worry, we work fast ;-)) this only makes sense.

Now, onto the issue. We went to a few stove shops. 2/3 said they use the flexible SS liners and the liner kits are ~$500.
1 stop shop (the one he bought his Hampton HI300 from) is INSISTING to use insulated SS liner. He says the other liners are garbage and he won't sell/install them any more. This liner is ~$1000.

I am sure the insulated liner is "better", but is it necessary? The existing chimney is on an exterior wall and it is approximately 15'.

Thanks,
ac

Yes, insulate it. It's an exterior chimney first off, so it will need protection from the cold. Also, chances are it will need it to bring it back into code compliance. s

We insulate every solid fuel liner, no matter what.

That figure sounds accurate. At least that's what my stainless/titanium insulated liner cost with (6" oval flex liner) with a ss mesh cover over the insulation jacket.

I installed the HI300 in my home and got the liner from Regency, as well. They sold me a z-flex type SF liner. I do have an interior chimney, though.

avc8130 said:
My buddy is so in love with my new wood stove that he wants to put an insert in his 30 y/0 masonry fireplace. He knows he needs to line the chimney and we both agree going all the way up will ease cleaning in the future and make for a better draft. With Uncle Obama offering 30% (don't worry, we work fast ;-)) this only makes sense.

Now, onto the issue. We went to a few stove shops. 2/3 said they use the flexible SS liners and the liner kits are ~$500.
1 stop shop (the one he bought his Hampton HI300 from) is INSISTING to use insulated SS liner. He says the other liners are garbage and he won't sell/install them any more. This liner is ~$1000.

I am sure the insulated liner is "better", but is it necessary? The existing chimney is on an exterior wall and it is approximately 15'.

Thanks,
ac

Is that quote installed or just for the parts? That's not a very tall liner, I got a 20' insulated kit (only used 15' of it) for $525. Some markup seems fair though through the dealer. I think the dealer insisting on the insulated sounds like they know what they are doing though.

tickbitty said:
avc8130 said:

Thanks,
ac

Is that quote installed or just for the parts? That's not a very tall liner, I got a 20' insulated kit (only used 15' of it) for $525. Some markup seems fair though through the dealer. I think the dealer insisting on the insulated sounds like they know what they are doing though.

$1k for liner, $1k for install.
ac

You can order/pay for a liner kit online if you want. Several sell them with insulation, you could have it paid before the end of 2011. Not sure if you can prepay his installation though. I got my liner through magnaflex and it was a pre-insulated kit, insulflex. Seems there may be a little hangup with the testing so if you absolutely need zero clearance insulated you will want to go with a regular insulated kit, but the insulflex seems a good idea and a quality product in my opinion.

I did my own insert install. I used a 6 inch flex pipe with the insulation kit. Insulation kit has foil backed high temp fiber (wear mask), foil tape, protective mesh, clamps and spray adhesive.
If your chimney is a more square tile type you can get roundish oval, more squared off oval, square or rectangular flex pipe from Rockford.
The non round shapes may allow for more space for insulation.
You can get insulation kits that also have a mesh sock that goes over the insulation to protect it when you jam it past a tight spot.
If you have curves through the damper area, use crude sheet metal forms for chutes, ramps or shoe horn type things to get past the sharp edge brick ledges.
Get the insulation on fairly well with light spay glue and temporary tape strips but don't finish the overlap. Then get about a 3 x 3 foot plywood board. Starting from the low part of the overlap press the board down medium and then roll the pipe around 360 slightly past the overlap. This will take your insulation wrap from messy to very neat. Work up and down the pipe twice and then do the final tape. Maybe do final tape before the last roll. Then massage the protective mesh over it. Clamp and then tie end of mesh in a not. On one end tie rope to mesh to pull it through chimney.
As for a markup the local guy wanted $1200 plus install extra. He probably buys the liner whosale at about $450. So he is trying to do a 3 x markup on supplies. He lost my business on that alone. Plus I am cheap and usually do it myself anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.