Chimney lining question ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what about the vermiculite insulation? It is true that it will be impossible to ensure that all sides of the liner are insulated evenly. As an earlier poster mentioned the flex liner will not be perfectly straight the whole way down. Even if it is straight it will only allow for a quarter inch of insulation on two sides as the inside diameter of my clay flue is 6". I can do the round for almost a thousand dollars less than oval. Do you think it is worth it to do oval so I can use insulation blanket?

BrotherBart said:
I only stuffed Rockwool insulation in the bottom and the top few feet. Otherwise it isn't insulated because there wasn't room. I had to go with 5.5" liners just to line the things. They both draft like a Hoover.

Dumb question, how do you connect a 5.5" SS liner to a 6" stovepipe?

Ray

cmonSTART said:
We insulate every solid fuel liner we do for reasons I won't get into here. But, especially if your chimney is an exterior masonry unit, insulation will be very helpful with draft.

Your company sounds like they do good work.. Do you work in Massachusetts too?

Ray

I dropped a magnaflex SS liner down my chimney and hooked it up to the insert. Had to trim out my fireplace damper a bit but it sure does draw good. Not sure what all sizes they make but so far, it does what it needs to do and does it well.

Rob

raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:
I only stuffed Rockwool insulation in the bottom and the top few feet. Otherwise it isn't insulated because there wasn't room. I had to go with 5.5" liners just to line the things. They both draft like a Hoover.

Ray

Not a dumb question at all. On the 30-NC in the fireplace I used a 15 degree fixed band-connect elbow. Crimped side down into the flue collar with the 5.5 inch stove adapter on the end of the liner into the band connect end of the elbow liberally sealed with furnace cement. On the basement flue since I pulled the liner through the thimble without using a tee I just slipped the wall thimble tube over the liner and sealed the gap with furnace cement.

BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:

Ray

Not a dumb question at all. On the 30-NC in the fireplace I used a 15 degree fixed band-connect elbow. Crimped side down into the flue collar with the 5.5 inch stove adapter on the end of the liner into the band connect end of the elbow liberally sealed with furnace cement. On the basement flue since I pulled the liner through the thimble without using a tee I just slipped the wall thimble tube over the liner and sealed the gap with furnace cement.

Thanx for info Bart.. Now for my next question, do you think a 5.5" insulated liner would go down a 7"x7" ID square clay liner without damaging the insulation? Just doing my homework and exploring my options.. Hoping to get this squared away asap as it's getting cold at night here and hate to run the furnace.. If I can't install a liner with insulation into my clay liner that clay liner is coming out..

Ray

Mine is 11"X7" inside and I know it wouldn't go down it insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.