Q&A Chimney lining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am looking to install a fireplace insert in my open brick fireplace. I am going to line the chimney with 6" pipe myself. Do I have to tear the complete damper out or can I cut brick out and work around damper? Do they make a flexible pipe, if so is this recommended? This project seems to be simple enough for a prominent diy.

Answer:

Most jobs I've seen use flexibly for the first 5-10 feet so as to get thru the damper (it can be slightly ovalived), and up into the smoke chamber. After that point straight can be attached.

The pipe must be dropped down from the top, because it is difficult to make connections when working from the bottom.
11/2007 It has become fairly common practice to fully line chimneys with flex liner. It reduces the number of joints/possible points of failure that are inside of your chimney and is easier/less time consuming to install.

Status
Not open for further replies.