Chimney possible for insert install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thibbard8

Nov 2, 2022
New Hampshire
Hi all, I bought a house about a year and a half ago and when we bought the house we were told the chimney was too “rotted” and not safe to use. I know nothing about masonry or chimneys but am mechanically inclined - mechanic and machinist by trade-

my original plan was to have it repaired, had a chimney guy come out and he said that would be a significant amount of money better option is to wood stove and pipe it out existing chimney which he said was in OK shape.

I wanted to do an insert to have it recessed in as we have the raised hearth as seen in attached pictures. I went to the stove shop and he seemed to think that wasn’t possible and wanted to have another guy look at it. I’m trying to avoid spending that extra money so I’m looking to get some advice from the real geniuses… the internet.

So my questions are, is it possible to just cut out This metal insert and recess in then wood insert and then do 6” pipe out the flue? What is the next best option if not possible. Thank you.
1A3BCB6A-C5AA-4273-93FE-79CB0FA8A660.jpeg5D62A375-543D-418A-A561-4BC9A6E18B35.jpeg5B6C48A1-F600-4759-84FC-18A9036E7395.jpeg90C40855-A495-4C82-ACD7-98089D02BE5F.jpegE2F04936-8D1C-455D-9B3E-BE739C8A034B.jpeg847D2CF6-8E21-480E-84E5-148914F9096E.jpeg

994FB80D-3D70-45C8-ACE3-8CF52C72C31A.jpeg CF641D79-3564-452E-8147-3FC8B3A5CC2D.jpeg

It looks like this may be a heatform style fireplace. The installation is not up to code due to the lack of any hearth in front of the fireplace. An insert may be installed with an insulated liner up the chimney. There doesn't appear to be enough depth to recess an insert there. The best option may be a flush unit. It will need hearth protection per the insert's manual.

trying to avoid spending that extra money so I’m looking to get some advice from the real geniuses… the internet.
I am questioning your choices in life. But then begreen proves me wrong. Better advice is hard to get online.

It looks like this may be a heatform style fireplace. The installation is not up to code due to the lack of any hearth in front of the fireplace. An insert may be installed with an insulated liner up the chimney. There doesn't appear to be enough depth to recess an insert there. The best option may be a flush unit. It will need hearth protection per the insert's manual.
With a heat form style is it not possible to cut out that metal box to give myself more clearance for dropping the liner in?

I am questioning your choices in life. But then begreen proves me wrong. Better advice is hard to get online.
It was mostly /S but also based in truth. I already got one opinion from a professional so this was mostly people smarter than me verifying that what he said was accurate

With a heat form style is it not possible to cut out that metal box to give myself more clearance for dropping the liner in?
You typically cut out enough in the damper area to allow the liner to pass through

Yes,

What are the fireplace dimensions? front and back and depth? Will it be used for 24/7 heating or more for ambiance fires on nights and weekends?

What are the fireplace dimensions? front and back and depth? Will it be used for 24/7 heating or more for ambiance fires on nights and weekends?
Sorry for the late reply BG, I really appreciate your help so hopefully you find this reply.

Attached is the measurements I took hopefully I worded it enough to make sense. I’m not really sure what I’m talking about.

This is the insert I’m thinking of going with so hopefully I would be able to just cut enough of the metal box to allow the liner to drop through into the back of the stove?

Thanks again. 60A6DB98-C185-4832-8269-F22D34775779.png

Also, it will be used anytime we are home to supplement our current oil based baseboard heat. $3.70 a gallon adds up quick especially with an out dated boiler.

Unfortunately my wife is a super worrisome person especially when it comes to our pets at home during the day so while i would love to have it low burn to help oil all day, it will only be used when we are home.

As an owner of a US Stove product I would highly recommend looking for a different unit even if slightly hire priced. US stove quality and performance has a lot to be desired, I would suggest looking into Drolet or century heat both competitively priced and available packaged with a liner.

This looks like it would fit. The minimum installation requirements according to US Stove are:
Minimum Width 29”
Minimum Height 23”
Minimum Depth 14”

Is this the only room being heated with the insert? How large is it?
I'd feel better with a Drolet or Century insert going in, but the US Stove will get the job done.

This looks like it would fit. The minimum installation requirements according to US Stove are:
Minimum Width 29”
Minimum Height 23”
Minimum Depth 14”

Is this the only room being heated with the insert? How large is it?
I'd feel better with a Drolet or Century insert going in, but the US Stove will get the job done.
Yes it will only heat my living room with some heat lingering to my kitchen which is right next to it.

Just under 1200sqft combined. I will look into the drolet and century’s.

Thank you.

Also, it will be used anytime we are home to supplement our current oil based baseboard heat. $3.70 a gallon adds up quick especially with an out dated boiler.

Unfortunately my wife is a super worrisome person especially when it comes to our pets at home during the day so while i would love to have it low burn to help oil all day, it will only be used when we are home.
About to be about $5.00 a gallon, or more

I like the "other idea" install hearth pad in front of fp, brick up fireplace, install new crock above old fp, insulated liner, T @ crock, black pipe in the room to a free standing stove.

Yes it will only heat my living room with some heat lingering to my kitchen which is right next to it.

Just under 1200sqft combined. I will look into the drolet and century’s.

Thank you.
The Drolet 1500i is the right size for that space, but finding one may be a big challenge. Stove inventory is very low. Check with these folks and ask for Sean.