Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpj911

Jan 4, 2009
Iowa
Hi, longtime lurker, first time poster.
Here's my situation:
I have a masonry(brick) chimney in good shape. It is 13"x13" inside and is lined with a steel square liner. I have a gas boiler that runs a 6" chimney inside the lined masonry chimney all the way out. I have room for another 6" liner inside this chimney that I would install to run a wood stove. The chimney is approximately 30 feet long total. I see no problem with this but I am new at this. They would not be sharing a chimney, it would just have two liners inside the old masonry chimney. Thoughts? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum bpj911.

I'll bump this to the top and hopefully someone else can answer this better than I can.

Sorry, not sure myself, if you can I would guess that both would need to be insulated???

Sorry - I'm not entirely sure either. However, I have seen other posts in this forum where folks have run a pellet stove and a standard 6" flue up the same chimney (it was a large flue). So that would seem to suggest that it may be possible for you to do what you want to do. But...there are definitely some code restrictions (safety first!) that may limit or exclude what you are trying to do.

Two 6" liners up a 13x13 flue could put out some serious heat together if both were firing at the same time. Seems like the insulation comment from burntime makes sense. Hopefully someone with a bit more code knowledge can chime in with some exact requirements.

I was thinking for heat and also so the other unit would not start drafting hard and rob the home of all the heat as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.