chimney questions, planning stage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesin

Dec 29, 2011
Pa
Hi all, we are in the planning stages of a wood burner. It will be placed in the basement, some minor remodeling will be needed so we are hoping to have it installed by next heating season, were not in a hurry. We are running into problems such as chimney size and hot water venting.
Our House is currently heated via natural gas (direct vent). The hot water heater is vented to the chimney. The chimney is not large enough to accept a 6" liner for the wood burner & a 3" liner for the hot water heater.
My options appear to be run an exposed liner for the wood burner outside next to the chimney - cost & appearance are cons.
I would rather run a new 3" exposed liner for the hot water heater next to the chimney but i dont know if that is legal and or how well the hot water heater would draft. I cant be the only one with this delemma, does anyone have any insite/ideas/suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

How new is the hot water heater . . . some of these can be set up to direct vent through the wall of the home.

Also . . . are you dead set on having the woodstove in the basement? I'm assuming there is a reason to put it in the basement . . . lack of space, the downstairs is finished and used as living space, etc. Generally, most folks seem to get the best benefit from having a woodstove in the room that they most often frequent.

firefighterjake said:
How new is the hot water heater . . . some of these can be set up to direct vent through the wall of the home.

Also . . . are you dead set on having the woodstove in the basement? I'm assuming there is a reason to put it in the basement . . . lack of space, the downstairs is finished and used as living space, etc. Generally, most folks seem to get the best benefit from having a woodstove in the room that they most often frequent.

This room in the basement is finished and used as our game room. The rest of the basement is unfinished which includes an unheated garage. We spend alot of time down there and its always cold. The hot water heater looks newer ( we have only been here 3 yrs). I saw those hot water heaters - it would add another $800. - $1000 to the cost of the project. Not trying to be cheap but id rather spend the money on a better burner

Is the garage separated from, the rest of the basement?
If open to where the stove is going to be, there is an issue there.
Is it done all the time, yes, but is a safety issue.

mikesin said:
firefighterjake said:

This room in the basement is finished and used as our game room. The rest of the basement is unfinished which includes an unheated garage. We spend alot of time down there and its always cold. The hot water heater looks newer ( we have only been here 3 yrs). I saw those hot water heaters - it would add another $800. - $1000 to the cost of the project. Not trying to be cheap but id rather spend the money on a better burner

Get a new electric water heater! My water heater looks new but its 8-9 yrs old, after all they are inside.

Hogwildz said:
Is the garage separated from, the rest of the basement?
If open to where the stove is going to be, there is an issue there.
Is it done all the time, yes, but is a safety issue.

The garage is separated from the living quarters. Basicly there are 3 rooms and a garage in the basement, all seperated by walls and doors. The room next to the garage is unheated and is used as storage. The other 2 rooms are heated. A game room and a utility room which houses the furnace, so i was wrong saying unheated in my earlier post.

clemsonfor said:
mikesin said:
firefighterjake said:

Get a new electric water heater! My water heater looks new but its 8-9 yrs old, after all they are inside.

Good idea but the electric service panel is maxed (150 amp svc). Plus our electric bill is high enough, Lol, is it legal or a bad idea to run the current hot water heaters venting outside ( exposed) beside the chimney?

greenteam, May I ask you to clearify, Is it "ok" to run a 3" and a 6" liner thru 1 chimney?

Perhaps your hot water heater could be vented using a direct vent system and not have to go up through the roof?

pen

I climbed up and had a look for myself tonight and found that the clay liner/tile insert measures 6.5" X 11" ID.
I'm a little upset that the first chimney guy told me that a 6" & a 3" liner would NOT fit. From what I can see it would be very close considering the OD of the 2 liners. The only hang up would be the clay liners are not lined up perfectly, but I did not see cement oozing out.
so if both can run through the chimney then why could the clay tile be knocked out in spots or completely to make room?

Just trying to find options,

thanks

I should also note that the chimney is on the outside of the house. a picture is worth a thousand words, :)
all I could find was this photo after a snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.