chimney ready for pellet stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toonces

Nov 7, 2011
Farmington Valley, CT
hi. i've been thinking about a wood or pellet stove for a couple years now trying to knock down the tank-a-month oil + $300 electricity bill that rears up during the winter. my landlord and neighbors have both told me that a previous tenant had a pellet stove in use and, seeing no venting through the walls, i assume it went through the existing brick fireplace chimney. right now, when looking up through the fireplace, i see a metal plate covering what was the 'exhaust' (sorry for my lack of terminology), and another metal plate screwed into that. the smaller plate covers a round hole which i didn't measure when i had it apart, but i'd say was a few inches across. i might take it apart and take pics.

being on a tight budget, i'm hoping that everything needed for a pellet stove is already installed so i only have to plug it in and go. any ideas what i should look for when i peer up there with a flashlight? is it possible they shot it up the chimney without a liner and is that even safe? i assume a metal pipe means there's some kind of lining, but i'm not sure if it's possible to line only the top or bottom half and get away with it. this is a two story multi-family which we occupy the first floor of.

i have an appointment with a chimney company to inspect, but if adding a liner is significantly more, i may have to pass this year and wait until the off season for a killer deal on a stove. i'd be very disappointed considering we just lost heat/power for 8 days and i want to comfortably melt my face off with some source of heat that noticeably works (when the power's up)!

thanks ahead of time for the info!

Welcome to the forum.

You need to check the local code there and the installation manual for the stove you are going to install in order to answer your questions about what must be used to vent the stove. In the US a partial lining can sometimes be used.

Any lining would be flexible stainless steel.

From what your describing it sounds like it probably had a full liner.

And yes a full liner will add significant cost.

so if i look up there and there is a liner, i should see it attached to the inside of that plate with a hole correct? i don't remember seeing that so i will look into the local codes and install manuals for more info. thanks for the info..

toonces said:
so if i look up there and there is a liner, i should see it attached to the inside of that plate with a hole correct? i don't remember seeing that so i will look into the local codes and install manuals for more info. thanks for the info..

You should see it if it is there when you open the hole and shine a light up into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.