chimney rebuild what course of action would you choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rob bennett

Feb 19, 2008
Lynden, Washington
Ok I have an 18 foot chimney that runs thought the center of my house. I need to rebuild more or less the top half. The morter is crumbling and bricks are spalling badly above the roof line. It currently has 3 terra cotta flues in it. All are the tiny 6 by 12 size. there is a slight jog in it.

One flue goes to the basement. It is not needed.
2 Flues go into the main living room fireplace. I plan on installing a Oslo some time down the road.

So my plan is to rebuild the chimney from the roof line up with new bricks.
I don't think I will ever get an insulated liner down these flues even if I ovalize it. They are very small.

What should I do now, so I have a safe installation later?
can I pull one of the terra cotta flues out and use an insulated forever flex liner with out a terra cotta liner?
Do I need to put in a larger terra cotta flue in and THEN run an insulated liner down?
Would a solid pipe make more sense and be safer?

What do you think? I really want to be a few steps ahead with this project.
Rob

Hi rob your current chimney sounds like our old one...with the jog and all.

There are a lot of SS liners out there and I'm sure one will work in that flue pipe. With the jog in the chimney perhaps a flex pipe/liner would be more compatible. Because your chimney is in the center of the house I'm pretty sure you won't need to insulate the liner...just mo.

Another possibility is a poured in place liner if they are available in your area. Supaflu (www.supaflu.com) is one and there are, I believe, at least two more.

Status
Not open for further replies.