chimney sealing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctswf

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2014
ct, usa
Hi, not sure the best place to post this...

Does anyone have confirmed success with any particular chimney sealing chemical?

I have lived in my house for 7 years, new roof, new flashing, sealed chimney with the home depot cheap stuff a few times, and still I get water seeping in through the bricks. I had free supply of the home depot stuff so I had used it. It does seem to resolve the problem for a short while but it always returns.

I know sealing the chimney can be needed yearly sometimes, but anyway I need to try a new product. I was thinking of trying out the "chimney saver" solvent based formula.

the solvent based says it is better than the waterbased, or low voc formula when previous products have already been used, like mine. The solvent based is also illegal in my state I believe, which of course makes me think its better, I know thats flawed logic.

Has anyone used a product that has confirmed a fix?

Thanks

I have a strong suspicion that the water is finding its way in through the crown rather than the vertical bricks. Can you post a picture of the chimney crown?

Post some pictures of the chimney. Chances are that there are other problems going on like a bad crown or some bad mortar joints. I almost never seal any chimneys. It is more often than not a bandaid that only masks the real problem for a short time.

Reactions: webby3650
ok I will post pics, I cant get to it at the moment. I havnt seen it since last fall but every time ive sealed it I have inspected it visually and sealed any small cracks w clear silicone.

ok I will post pics, I cant get to it at the moment. I havnt seen it since last fall but every time ive sealed it I have inspected it visually and sealed any small cracks w clear silicone.
Typically this crack between the brick and the crown is a big contributing factor and often overlooked.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 178
Typically this crack between the brick and the crown is a big contributing factor and often overlooked.

yeah, I do recall that being an issue on my past inspections, I always seal it off but maybe not so well. its good for a while but inevitably looks damp inside the connecting garage rafters

Sealers like that really do nothing for cracks at all. They only keep water from being absorbed through the masonry

Just my opinion but it would probably be cheaper, tho not initially, to have it repointed from roofline up. I am not a chimney expert, and do not pretend to be, and would defer to the chimney guys, like bholler, for their advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.